Health Care Support - Cancer Society Supportive Care Volunteer
Everyday 60 New Zealanders will hear the words “You have cancer”. The Cancer Society understands how a cancer diagnosis can affect every aspect of someone’s life and how it can also affect their family/whanau, friends and others around them.
Our commitment is to help people get through. Help us make a difference in your community.
Throughout Aotearoa/New Zealand, over 3500 Cancer Society volunteers are actively involved in providing information and support to people affected by cancer.
- To supplement the work of Supportive Care services in ensuring that no one feels alone or unsupported during their experience with cancer.
- To provide practical assistance and emotional support, or transport to assigned clients in a safe and caring way.
- To communicate in a clear and effective manner with client(s) and liaise with the local supportive care staff.
- To attend meetings as arranged by the group leader or supportive care staff.
- Your local supportive care and volunteering staff will support you in your role.
Volunteers are needed in Alexandra, Cromwell, Queenstown and Wanaka.
These roles assist the running of the Cancer Society, enabling it to effectively and efficiently fulfil its mission.
The typical expectation is 1 - 2 hours per week or fortnight. The can fluctuate and is dependent on the needs identified within the community and those of the Cancer Society.
- A pleasant and friendly manner.
- An appreciation of the uniqueness and complexities of individuals and their needs.An ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people.
- A sense of humour and enthusiasm in working with people in the community.
- A clear awareness of volunteer’s role within the professional relationship and appropriate understanding of issues surrounding boundaries.
- Respect for the confidentiality of client information and circumstances is essential.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Orientation, resources, and ongoing support.
- Support from Cancer Society staff.
- Collegial support from fellow volunteers.
- Reimbursement of agreed expenses and toward mileage.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening