OFFICE - RECEPTION - Community Advice Volunteer
The Alexandra Community Advice Network provides a free, confidential referral information and advice service. The office in Community House, Alexandra is open from Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm.
The aim of the organisation is to ensure that individuals do not suffer through ignorance of their rights and responsibilities, or of the services available, or through an inability to express their needs effectively.
ACAN run a free JP and legal clinic and also co-ordinate the delivery roster and distribution of Meals on Wheels for Alexandra and Clyde.
To work effectively with clients.
To use all information resources and information systems to research and answer enquiries.
When requested, assist with phone calls, form filling, letter writing and referrals to advocacy.
Assist with general tasks on request
To read all new information in various formats and attend training.
To record all enquiries in the computer database.
To assist with bookings and organization of the JP and legal clinics.
To assist with the referral and roster of Meals on Wheels volunteers.
A minimum of a 3 hour session once a fortnight. The roster is weekly with time slots of 9-12 and 12-3 weekdays. Training is on-the job whilst alongside an experienced advisor. In addition all volunteers attend approximately 6 training sessions throughout the year.
Located in Alexandra
- Over 18 years of age
- Able to relate well to a diverse range of people with the ability to provide support in an empathetic way, both face-to-face and over the phone.
- Be an effective listener with good written and oral communication.
- Must understand and maintain the strictest confidentiality at all times and display non-judgemental and impartial attitudes.
- Basic communication skills (internet, data input etc) with ability to be taught set procedures.
Enhanced interpersonal skills including communication, empathy, and administration skills.
Increased knowledge of organisations and support services available within the community.
Many advisors gain satisfaction from giving something back to the community whilst also providing a social opportunity for themselves.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon