CARE GIVING / HEALTH CARE SUPPORT - Care and Friendship Group assistant
The Cromwell Community welfare trust was established in 2005 to assist the elderly and struggling families in the Cromwell, Pisa and Bannockburn community. They now focus on the delivery of 4 projects being the Food Bank, Furniture bank, Meals on Wheels and Care and Friendship group.
The Care and Friendship group is a fortnightly social group for the elderly (average attendance approx 25 people). It is a light-hearted entertainment day that also has input from other community (eg schools, preschools, service groups, entertainers) to create interactive activities. The group does not run throughout the year, they do several blocks of time.
A volunteer may assist with one or several of the following tasks:
Interacting with the elderly to ensure they can maximum enjoyment from the session.
- Assisting the elderly with practical issues such as manoeuvring them into a position so that they are able to see and appreciate the time as they wish, and ensuring that their needs are met.
- Practical assistance such as preparing food and delivering morning tea/lunch etc., moving furniture to prepare the room and returning it after, general tidying up.
- Assisting with transporting participants to and from the event.
- A volunteer co-ordinator to assist with the organisation of the activities is also needed.
Sessions are run as a block of fortnightly sessions several times a year. Ideally volunteers would be able to commit to assisting with at least one block.
Located in Cromwell.
18+ years and may be required to undergo a police check.
Drivers licence and access to own vehicle for driver roles.
Volunteers should also feel comfortable chatting to others, be polite, respectful and empathetic.
Experience or knowledge of social service agencies is helpful.
Co-ordinator role also requires financial and IT skills.
We hope volunteers will gain satisfaction from filling a vital gap in the needs of the Cromwell community.
They often gain knowledge of and empathy for the struggles of others.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon