Environmental Improvement - Office admin and project support
Opening an Alpine Lakes Research and Education Centre (ALREC) in Wānaka, was the vision of the late ORC Councillor Dr. Maggie Lawton and Dr. Marc Schallenberg from the University of Otago. As ALREC has developed, this original vision has expanded to focus on long-term ecosystem health by supporting research and education relating to water, land, ecosystem function, biodiversity and climate change.
We plan to offer a well-equipped laboratory and environmental hub to facilitate research, action, ideas and conversation between researchers, regulators, educators and the local community, all designed to advance our environment and understanding of Alpine Lakes ecology. We operate from the ALREC building near Waste-Busters and need your help to open our doors as soon as possible for professional science, citizen science and engagement with local residents and visitors.
ALREC is a project led by the Upper Clutha Lakes Trust.
Help grow the network:
We are looking for a passionate volunteer that’s keen to get stuck in and help support our stakeholders and engage new supporters in our cause. If you care about the health of our waterways, and have a few hours each week to give to this awesome project we’d love to hear from you.
Office admin and project support
- Help to set up our office processes, systems and equipment
- Help us to set up and manage our contacts and fundraising database
- Help us to organise meetings or small scale events at our offices or in the community
- Support the project manager with tasks related to opening the centre
- Engage with our supporters and stakeholders
- Communicate with our current stakeholders following up on requests by email and phone
- Identify potential supporters and help spread the word (i.e. local organisations, clubs and schools)
Located in Wanaka.
Approximately 3-4 hours a week.
Skills and attributes:
We are looking for a reliable and enthusiast volunteer with a can do attitude. Below is our wish list of skills but don't worry if you don't have all of them - we'd still love to speak to you!
- Organised go-getter with great ideas of how we can do things better
- Office skills i.e. use of Microsoft office programs such as Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Clear and concise communication skills, especially on the phone and on email
- Confident on using databases (we can teach you ours)
- A people person and excellent networker who can engage others in our cause
- Ability to manage own projects after initial guidance
- Experience or an interest in campaigning, advocacy or fundraising
- Happy to engage and use social media
You will be supported by our project manager and we want our volunteers to gain satisfaction from their involvement in this project through sharing and developing their skills, making new connections, hitting key milestones and seeing the project progress and develop.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening