EVENT AND FACILITY - GENERAL ASSISTANCE - Archiving Assistant
The Central Stories Museum and Art Gallery showcases the unique stories of Central Otago. These stories include geology, early explorers, social history, gold, dredging & mining, farming, orcharding, viticulture and many more besides.
As the guardians of Central Otago's rich heritage, our philosophy is to care for the cultural well-being of our community and provide the best experience we can – for locals and visitors alike.
It is the responsibility of present and future members of Central Stories to preserve and foster interest in the heritage of the distant and recent past through the acquisition and conservation of artefacts, archival records and artworks.
Central Stories has a large amount of records, photos and documents that need people with a keen eye to look at and process. Many of them need sorted, filed and digitized.
This work is very flexible and could be undertaken weekdays or in the weekend. We anticipate most people would do 2-3 hours per week of their own choosing. The first few sessions would need to be in conjunction with the supervisor for training purposes.
Located in Alexandra.
- Have an interest in and willingness to positively promote Central Stories to the community.
- An eye for detail and a personality type that enjoys this type of work.
- Experience in or a willingness to learn archiving and filing systems.
- Digitization requires a basic knowledge of computers.
- Ability to listen to instruction, follow processes and work as part of a team.
This is your opportunity to see how Central Stories works on a day to day basis and be more involved in the community and our heritage. You will learn new information from the material you are processing. This is an opportunity to learn new skills and meet new people.
As a volunteer you are considered an important part of the Central Stories staff and will be entitled to all staff privileges including a 10% discount in our shop and invitations to all our exclusive events.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon