Current Volunteer Openings - Family Literacy Program Support
Volunteer Posting: Family Literacy Program Support (Surrey-Delta Service Centre)
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. is one of the largest social service agencies in British Columbia, Canada. With the vision to create “A World of Multicultural Harmony”, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. is well supported by its mission to Build Bridges, Harvest Diversity and Foster Integration.
The Immigrant Settlement & Integration Program (ISIP) assists immigrants and their families learn about Canada's systems and services. We offer opportunities for immigrants to develop English language skills, learn about Canada's labour market, network and develop professional and social networks, and settle into their local B.C. communities. ISIP services are for eligible immigrants, refugees and their families and are free of charge. Our services are offered in many languages.
The Family Literacy Program is a drop-in program for parents and/or caregivers of young children (aged 0-5). As a Family Literacy Program Support volunteer, you will be placed in the Family Literacy classroom to support Program facilitating staff.
#100 – 15117 101 Avenue, Surrey BC V3R 8P7
- Registering participants
- Classroom setup & clean up
- Providing language support as needed
- Assisting with activities as needed
Time Commitment and Schedule:
- The Program runs on weekdays – 12:15 pm – 2:15 pm
- Volunteers’ shifts are 12:10-2:30pm
- Intermediate Level of English or above
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
- 19 years or older
- Must be willing to conduct a criminal record check
- Experience working with children and/or applicants considering ECE are preferred
Personal Traits/ Qualities Desired:
- Able to work in a fast-paced and multilingual environment
- Friendly, welcoming and patient with young children
- Engaging with families in different activities
- Able to anticipate and complete necessary tasks with minimal supervision
- Open to interacting positively with participants from a variety of cultures and language groups
Orientation and Training Provided:
- General orientation to S.U.C.C.E.S.S.
- Specific orientation to the volunteer position
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Support the work of S.U.C.C.E.S.S. in our mission to build bridges, harvest diversity and foster integration through service and advocacy
- Gain specific experience with family literacy and working with parents, caregivers and young children.
- Improve your English skills
- Volunteer reference letter issued upon request after 40 hours of volunteer service
- This position will be supervised by the Family Literacy Program staff
Application and Screening Process:
- To apply for this position- Please click the 'Fill in an Application' button on the right hand side of this page
- Selected applicants will be interviewed. Prior to volunteering, applicants must complete a successful interview, a complete Criminal Record Check and complete our Agreements & Acknowledgements