Voluntary Helper - Voluntary Driver to Events & Activities
The Treloar Trust provides education,care,therapy,medical support and independence training to young people with physical disabilities from all over the UK and overseas.
We are based in Holybourne, just outside of Alton,Hampshire.
Our students and their carers enjoy taking part in a number of activities and events across Hampshire. The destinations and activities are always varied and interesting. Unfortunately many times we lack a sufficient number of drivers to accommodate the many requests we receive. Specific training will be provided and drivers will be supported by members of staff. In some cases, you will be able to participate in the activity with the students (i.e. cinema, rugby game).
What will I be doing?
- Driving students to and from various locations
- Supporting students on/off mini-buses
- Supporting students during their activity/event (optional)
How much time do I need to commit to?
This is a flexible role. The outings typically take place during the days and on the weekends. Occasional evenings could also be required. We do require a commitment of one academic year (i.e. a commitment of 4 shifts during one academic year). Our goal is to match your availability with our outings.
What skills do I require?
- A driver’s license (pre-1997) or a D1 driver’s license
- A clean driving record (preferable)
- Physically able to assist in the transfers of students to and from the vehicle (with aids if required) and able to clamp wheelchairs in the vehicle
- Sensitivity and empathy towards the individual needs of the student
- Ability to support students improve their independence
- Positive attitude
- Willingness to have fun!
- Strong interpersonal skills and patience
What benefits can I expect?
- Meeting new people
- Excellent training opportunities for those wishing to develop their CV
- Taking part in outings in Hampshire and surrounding areas
- An enjoyable and fun day
- Satisfaction and reward in knowing you are part of our students achieving their true potential
What training will be provided?
It’s important that all Treloar Voluntary Helpers have the skills to perform well in their role, to comply with policies and procedures and to interact with the students (when outlined). With this in mind Voluntary Helpers attend a comprehensive induction programme and will be supported throughout their volunteering experience.
Please click on the SIGN UP button to contact us for further details.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - All Day
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - All Day
- Sunday - All Day
The Treloar Trust provides education, care, therapy, medical support and independence training to young people with physical disabilities from all over the UK and overseas. Our aim is to prepare these young people for adult life, giving them the confidence and skills to achieve their full potential.
Our long-term goal is to create a world where physically disabled young people learn to take control of their lives and dare to dream.