Wheels of Hope Volunteer Driver - Wheels of Hope Volunteer Driver - ON - Hamilton Wentworth
Please be advised that until further notice CCS requires that volunteers within this role will be required to be double vaccinated as per our Covid-19 Vaccinations Policy.
For more information on the CCS Covid-19 Vaccinations Policy please visit www.cancer.ca
Drivers needed in Hamilton.
WHY WE NEED YOU
At the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) we are committed to improving the cancer experience by helping people with cancer live their lives more fully. CCS’s Wheels of Hope program helps people who can’t get to their cancer treatment appointments, providing trips when people need us most.
Wheels of Hope drivers not only provide a means for clients to get to their critical cancer treatments, but offer a safe, supportive ride along the way. You’ll become an important part of each client’s support team, so your familiarity with Society programs and services and referring to them as appropriate will ensure everyone has access to the supports they need.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
As a Wheels of Hope driver, you will be responsible for:
• Responding to requests for client rides from the Transportation Coordinator, ideally via email, and wherever possible being flexible with your schedule as busy days/times/periods change
• Confirm travel arrangements with client(s) by phone
• Offer minimal assistance to get clients in and out of the car (no lifting permitted)
• Put client safety first by following safe driving procedures and keeping your license and insurance details updated
• Adhere to all Canadian Cancer Society policies, procedures, standards and guidelines including client confidentiality, role boundaries and our 100% smoke free policy
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
You understand that cancer can change everything and that accessing critical programs and services creates a whole new level of community. You recognize that the Wheels of Hope program requires flexibility, as we respond to the continually changing schedules of current clients and other drivers.
You enjoy meeting a variety of people and have the patience to deal with the times you may be waiting for a client to finish treatment. You can represent CCS positively as you interact with members of the public and are a guest in facilities like Hospitals, Cancer Centres and Lodges.
You are ready to do your best to make a client’s ride to treatment one less thing they have to worry about, allowing them the space and focus to handle their journey in their own way.
You are comfortable using online tools, like email and our scheduling software. You have a valid driver’s license with 3 or fewer demerit points and an acceptable driving record. You carry a minimum of $1M third party liability insurance on your 100% smoke-free vehicle and are willing to have a criminal records check and regular driver abstract checks completed.
As an organization we will provide you with training and support to prepare you for this important role. You will be supported by the Transportation Coordinator, who will be providing your driving schedule and be there to help you throughout your time on the road.
You will be part of the larger Wheels of Hope team, including over 1600 volunteer drivers and many staff who share your desire to help as many people as possible get to their treatments.
• This is an important leadership role. We ask that you dedicate at minimum a half day to one day weekly, although we are able to accommodate those able to give a few days a month or during particular times of the year (ie summer months, winter months).
• Your schedule will be provided three (3) days ahead of time and will depend on busy days/periods, your preferences and client demand. If you’re not getting as many rides as you’re available to take, we ask you to contact your Transportation Coordinator to discuss changing your availability.
• You are agreeing to initiate and respond with regular, consistent communication between the Transportation Coordinator, clients you are scheduled to drive and other partners including other Wheels of Hope drivers.
- As a volunteer, you are a representative and ambassador who promotes the mission and values of the organization.