Lodges / Maisons d'hébergement - Porter - The Lodge That Gives, Halifax, NS
Please be advised that until further notice CCS requires that volunteers within this role will be required to be double vaccinated as per our Covid-19 Vaccinations Policy.
For more information on the CCS Covid-19 Vaccinations Policy please visit www.cancer.
THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY
BE a part of a collective of people united by a singular focus where no Canadian fears cancer. BE bold by committing your time to driving positive change alongside families, friends, healthcare teams, donors, scientists, advocates and all those who strive to make the cancer journey one that is supported in every way.
We believe that life is bigger than cancer. We believe your support is stronger than cancer. Canadian Cancer Society Lodges provide a supportive environment for people with cancer and their adult companions. The Lodge is located near cancer treatment centres in Halifax. As a Porter you will help clients move their luggage. Shifts will be scheduled on Mondays and Fridays during the busiest “move-in” and “move-out” days.
WHY WE NEED YOU
In this role you will help ease the transition of clients moving into or out of a new location who may be feeling the side effects of their cancer treatment. Everything that we can do to make this transition and move easier will support the client in having a good experience at the Lodge. Especially those clients who are coming to the Lodge for the first time. You have a positive impact on the quality and enhancement of life for people affected by cancer.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Move luggage and belongings of Lodge clients.
- Promote a social and caring atmosphere in the lodge, focusing attention and time on lodge guests.
- Work in collaboration with other volunteers and staff to support the Lodge clients.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Ability to lift and carry luggage.
- Friendly and outgoing.
- Comfortable working with a wide variety of people.
- Good communication skills.
- You will be in a front-line role supporting cancer clients.
- Play an integral role in the fight against cancer.
- Become confident in your understanding of cancer and the cancer cause along with the impact the Society has.
- Joining a team of enthusiastic and interesting people who share your passion for supporting people effected by cancer
- Volunteering for a respected National organization and increase knowledge of cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment & support services
- CCS Volunteer Orientation
- Support Program Orientation
- Lodge and Role specific training
- Ongoing updates and Support from Staff Partner in Volunteer Engagement
- 3 or more hours per week – Mondays and Fridays
- Minimum 6 months