BC - Fraser Valley (Surrey) - Communications Lead - Fraser Valley
BE a part of something BIG and here’s why…
THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY
BE a part of a collective of people united by a singular focus where no Canadian fears cancer. BE bold by committing your time to driving positive change alongside families, friends, healthcare teams, donors, scientists, advocates and all those who strive to make the cancer journey one that is supported in every way.
We believe that life is bigger than cancer. We believe your support is stronger than cancer. If you do too, read more…
Relay For Life Communications Lead
WHY WE NEED YOU
At CCS we are committed to improving the cancer experience by helping people with cancer live their lives more fully. The Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life brings together communities united by the same goal of creating a world where no Canadian fears cancer. Relay is an opportunity to celebrate those who live and have lived in the face of cancer.
Funds raised through Relay For Life will contribute to groundbreaking research, support programs and services that help people with cancer and enhanced advocacy efforts to governments on important cancer related issues.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
As the Communications Lead you will be responsible for:
- Building and executing a marketing and communications plan in your community that promotes Relay For Life and the Canadian Cancer Society, driving participation and support
- Leading and supporting the Social Media Coordinator in building and executing a Social Media campaign and ensuring their tasks are completed if this role remains vacant
- Using approved provincial/national materials and branding to promote the Relay For Life (and team events) in your immediate community via multiple channels including posters, announcements, Twitter, Instagram, business / club visits and traditional medias.
- Building media partnerships to create awareness around the community about the event through media releases, online community boards, post event media releases and more
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
As the Communications lead you understand the power compelling stories have to inspire. You are motivated to help raise funds by increasing community awareness with the goal to build larger community involvement. You know how to communicate ideas clearly and write effectively. You are organized, social media savvy, you have a great network and you’re ready to share the importance of Relay with everyone you connect with.
As an organization we will provide you with online resources, training and support to help you lead the Communications portfolio and be an effective leader for the Social Media Coordinator.
You will work closely with the Social Media Coordinator and also be supported by the Relay Director, Community Engagement, a fellow volunteer, who will oversee all aspects around bringing more community members to Relay.
You will be part of the larger Relay community and have opportunity to learn and mentor as you engage with CCS staff and volunteers.
- This is an important leadership role. We are anticipating an ongoing level of commitment which will include regular monthly meetings with the entire committee.
- Between committee meetings you will be researching media opportunities, exploring the available CCS materials and initiating a comprehensive media plan that is crucial for a successful event.
- You are agreeing to initiate and respond with regular, consistent communication between the Relay Director, Community Engagement and other members of the team, including the Social Media Coordinator.
- As the event date approaches your time commitment will increase and on event day your leadership, as you continue to connect with the media and other partners, will be critical in creating the sense of accomplishment that everyone will go home with, knowing that their actions have created something bigger than cancer.