Support Programs - Peer Support Volunteer
Are you a cancer survivor or someone who has cared for a person with cancer?
Become a volunteer and provide support over the phone to someone who is going through an experience similar to what you went through. Our program matches cancer survivor volunteers with individuals who have cancer, and caregiver volunteers with people who are caregivers. Training and ongoing guidance are provided by program staff.
What are the benefits of being a peer support volunteer?
- Turn your personal cancer experience into hope for others.
- Be part of a meaningful volunteer experience.
- Gain training and experience in peer support skills.
- Enhance your interpersonal and communication skills.
- Play an integral role in the support of the mission, vision and values of the Canadian Cancer Society.
- Volunteer from the comfort of your own home.
What skills and qualifications do you need to be a peer support volunteer?
- Be a cancer survivor who completed their treatment at least one year ago or be a caregiver for someone who completed their cancer treatment at least one year ago.
- Depending on the stability of their health, someone who is living with advanced cancer (or a caregiver for someone living with advanced cancer) may also qualify.
- Be emotionally able to provide support to others.
- Have a positive, caring and non-judgmental approach to supporting others.
- Be comfortable working with a wide variety of people.
- Know about the mission, vision, priorities, programs and policies of the Canadian Cancer Society (or be willing to learn).
- Understand and accept the roles and responsibilities of the peer support program.
- Have basic computer skills and reliable access to the Internet.
- Successfully complete all peer support training.
- Complete a criminal record check.
Make a commitment to the peer support program for a minimum of one year.
Peer Suppoprt Volunteer - Support Programs - Fort St. James, Endako, Vanderhoof, Fraser Lake, Fort Fraser
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyImpactPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account