Lodge Programs - Activity Volunteer
Canadian Cancer Society Lodges provide a supportive environment for people with cancer and their adult companions. The Lodges are located near cancer treatment centres in Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna and Prince George. Programming at each Lodge is made available for the enjoyment of clients (and/or their adult caregivers) who wish to participate. Activities may include book clubs, special activity nights (hockey, movie etc), walking companions, crafts or other activities approved by the Lodge Manager. Through a variety of activities we hope to foster a sense of home, companionship and relaxation.
As an activity volunteer at the Lodge you have an important role in ensuring that recreational opportunities are available for clients during a stressful period in their lives. You will organize, lead/facilitate the activity, working collaboratively with front desk volunteers. You role helps to create a home away from home for the clients and their families. You have a positive impact on the quality and enhancement of life for people affected by cancer.
- Play an integral role in the fight against cancer.
- Become confident in your understanding of cancer and the cancer cause along with the impact the Society has.
- Joining a team of enthusiastic and interesting people who share your passion for supporting people effected by cancer
- Volunteering for a respected National organization and increase knowledge of cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment & support services
- Opportunity to further develop communication skills
- Promote a social and caring atmosphere in the lodge through the organizing of activities.
- Offer a safe and enjoyable activity as negotiated with the Lodge Manager.
- Discuss and agree upon any supplies or expenses needed prior to the start of the activity.
- Ensure room or area is as it was before the start of the activity.
- Promote lodge & Canadian Cancer Society activities, & support services
- Work in collaboration with other volunteers to support the Lodge clients.
- Follow all Canadian Cancer Society Policies under the direction of the Lodge Manager.
Training and Support
- CCS Volunteer Orientation
- Support Program Orientation
- Lodge and Role specific training
- Ongoing updates and Support from Staff Partner in Volunteer Engagement
Skills and Qualifications
- Skill and qualifications suitable for activity. Note: in cases where certification is required to lead activity, final approval rests with the Lodge Manager.
- Friendly and outgoing. Comfortable working with a wide variety of people
- Good communication skills
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Criminal record check