Lodge Front Desk - Building Maintenance Volunteer
The Canadian Cancer Society is seeking a highly skilled and dependable Building Maintenance volunteer to help us with our various fix-it tasks within the Vancouver Island Lodge. The Vancouver Island Lodge is a ‘home away from home’ for people diagnosed with cancer travelling to Victoria for treatments. It is a safe, supportive environment where guests may relate to what others are going through and can share experiences.
The Lodge is located at 2202 Richmond Road, Victoria, BC (across the street from Royal Jubilee Hospital). Here at the Canadian Cancer Society, we take pride in the health and wellness of our staff and volunteer workforce.
We welcome people of all backgrounds, abilities and interests.
The Building Maintenance Volunteer is responsible for various building repairs included, but not limited to:
- Stairway and door repairs
- Putting up art work, pictures, etc.
- Furniture moving and assembly
- Minor painting jobs
- Replacing lightbulbs, changing light fixtures
- Minor plumbing tasks such as replacing sink plugs
- And other odd jobs as required (installing keyboard trays, etc.)
- Contribute to the continued maintenance and upkeep of the Vancouver Island Lodge
- Interact with the community as an advocate of the Canadian Cancer Society
- Network with a team that is enthusiastic about supporting cancer patients and changing the future of cancer in a non-profit environment
TRAINING & SUPPORT
- Volunteer Orientation: held monthly, the orientation is facilitated by our Volunteer Engagement staff team and is available either in-person or by computer/teleconference. The orientation includes an overview of the Canadian Cancer Society’s history, service, events and volunteer program, as well as a chance to discuss year-round opportunities.
- Volunteer Handbook: Available to all volunteers, this resource provides a general overview of the Society’s structure and volunteer program, including expectations, policies and procedures, mission delivery and brand position
- Role-specific training, with ongoing mentorship and support from the Lodge Manager
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Licensed contractor preferred
- Wide breadth of building maintenance and repair experience
- Good physical stamina to lift heavy equipment where necessary
- Strong communicator
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Criminal Record Check required
- Clean driving record
2-4 hour shift every other week or as needed and agreed upon.
Fridays or Monday mornings are most suitable based on lodge guest hours.
- Criminal Record Check Must be Full record check
- I have a valid driver's licence Must be at least Class 5