Lodge Programs - Lodge Library Volunteer
The Vancouver Island Lodge is a ‘home away from home’ for people diagnosed with cancer travelling to Victoria for treatments. It is a safe, supportive environment where guests may relate to what others are going through and can share experiences.
The Lodge is located at 2202 Richmond Road, Victoria, BC (across the street from Royal Jubilee Hospital). Here at the Canadian Cancer Society, we take pride in the health and wellness of our staff and volunteer workforce.
The Canadian Cancer Society Vancouver Island Lodge is looking for a volunteer to help keep its libraries tidy and up to date. No specialized libararian skills are required - just the ability to be organized, kind and compassionate.
The Library Volunteer is responsible for:
- Regularly reviewing the Cancer Information Materials to ensure brochures are up to date
- Identify which materials need to be reorderd
- Maintain the onside library with a variety of books for clients to access while staying at the Lodge
- By ensuring an updated Library, you will maintain both a key cancer information resource and reading materials for clients staying at the Lodge
- Positively impact the quality and enhancement of life for people affected by cancer
- Support clients by ensuring both cancer information and recreational reading material is available for their information and enjoyment
- Play an integral role in the fight against cancer
- Join a team of enthusiastic and interesting people who share your passion for supporting people affected by cancer
- Gain knowledge and understanding of cancer and the cancer cause along with the impact of the Society
TRAINING AND SUPPORT
- Canadian Cancer Society Orientation: This webinar provides an overview of the Canadian Cancer Society’s history, service, events and volunteer program, as well as a chance to discuss year-round volunteer opportunities.
- Support Program Orientation
- Volunteer Handbook: Available to all volunteers, this resource provides a general overview of the Society’s structure and volunteer program, including expectations, policies and procedures, mission delivery and brand position
- Role-specific training, with ongoing mentorship and support from staff partner
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Comfortable managing a large number of Society materials
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Criminal Record Check required
2 hour shift every week or as needed and agreed upon