ON - Newmarket - Relay Director, Community Engagement - Newmarket
BE a part of something BIG and here’s why…
THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY
BE a part of a collective of people united by a singular focus where no Canadian fears cancer. BE bold by committing your time to driving positive change alongside families, friends, healthcare teams, donors, scientists, advocates and all those who strive to make the cancer journey one that is supported in every way.
We believe that life is bigger than cancer. We believe your support is stronger than cancer. If you do too, read more…
Relay For Life Relay Director, Community Engagement
WHY WE NEED YOU
At CCS we are committed to improving the cancer experience by helping people with cancer live their lives more fully. The Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life brings together communities united by the same goal of creating a world where no Canadian fears cancer. Relay is an opportunity to celebrate those who live and have lived in the face of cancer.
Funds raised through Relay For Life will contribute to groundbreaking research, support programs and services that help people with cancer and enhanced advocacy efforts to governments on important cancer related issues.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
As the Relay Director, Community Engagement, you will work in partnership with the Relay Director, Logistics to create a successful event. In your role you will be responsible to maintain and develop initiatives that invite existing and new community partners to get involved and be part of Relay.
The committee volunteers who report to you will each have a portfolio to manage with a focus on the promotional and fundraising aspects of the event. Portfolios include recruiting and retaining participants, participant of Hope engagement, event marketing and promotion and corporate engagement including sponsorship and product donations, as well as leading additional sources of revenue (pre-Relay activities). Your job will be to lead, motivate and support this group through pre-Relay activities up to and including event day.
You, and the Relay Director, Logistics are directly connected to a CCS Staff Partner and are responsible for sharing key event and organizational information between the Staff Partner and committee members.
The measurement of success will be a vibrant event that rallies the backing of the community through teams and participant registration, a wave of survivors gathering and support from multiple sponsors. Your Relay event will be the event everyone wants to be part of locally.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
You understand that cancer can change everything and that bringing community together in support of people who have been affected by cancer helps us prove that life is bigger than cancer. You have the leadership skills to motivate a group of volunteers to work together and move objectives forward.
You understand your community and how to connect people and involve them in Relay. You know what matters to the people you rub shoulders with and how to create mutually beneficial experiences.
You are engaging and enthusiastic about the opportunity to invite your neighbours not only to donate, but also to honour people who have had a cancer experience, and celebrate that life is bigger than cancer.
As an organization we will provide you with online resources and training, as well as staff support to help you lead the community engagement side of the Relay committee and be an effective people leader.
You will have the opportunity to learn and mentor as you engage with CCS staff and volunteers.
- This is a significant leadership role. We are anticipating an ongoing level of commitment which will include leading regular monthly meetings with the committee.
- Between committee meetings, you will engage in small group or one to one mentorship meetings with each of your committee members.
- You are agreeing to initiate and respond with regular consistent communication between the volunteers you are leading and the CCS Staff Partner who is supporting the event.
- Post event, your feedback and debriefing will be crucial to ensure that Relay continues getting better every year and all voices are heard and valued. This also includes a conversation about your ongoing involvement with future Relays
- As the event date approaches your time commitment will increase and on event day your leadership, as you pitch in and pull the final details together, will be critical in creating the sense of accomplishment that everyone will go home with, knowing that their actions have created something bigger than cancer.