Ongoing - Behavioral Health - Working with Youth - [VIRTUAL OPTION] Book Buddies - a virtual reading partnership with children
Reading aloud to children has been determined to be “the single most important activity for building knowledge for their eventual success in reading.” [citation] That’s compelling at Villa Maria School, where children are largely working below grade level in reading -- sometimes by multiple grades. Besides academics, VMS school children are addressing emotional and behavioral challenges that keep them from participating in general education settings, therefore the psychological and relational payoffs of listening to stories are also a boon to treatment.
During the pandemic, reading partners or “Book Buddies” will enhance remote learning for children by reading stories aloud and building a positive relationship. During the school day, volunteers will join a student in a virtual setting to share a story by reading aloud and engaging in conversation.
Volunteer candidates must be consistent, positive, patient, flexible, and adept at appreciating “What’s strong” instead of “What’s wrong.” We are seeking individuals who are tech-competent, comfortable using Zoom & Google Meets, expressive, and possess clear diction – qualities that will be essential when engaging children through a virtual platform.
Commitment: 45 minutes, once a week for two school semesters.
Pre-Service Training (orientation for all new volunteers): Summer 2021; a weeknight from 6-8 PM via Zoom
Remote Book Buddy Training: Summer 2021 via Zoom
To apply, please click where prompted "I would like to volunteer." Background checks will be required.
- Child Protective Services check Must be at least Submitted
- Interview Must be Interview complete
- Policy forms Must be at least Completed
- Pre-Service Training (2 hr. training) Must be at least Completed PST
- Reference check Must be at least 2 clear
- Verified Volunteers criminal background check Must be Clear
This activity occurs between Monday, September 28, 2020 and Wednesday, June 15, 2022
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon