Facilitation - English Conversation Circle Facilitator
English Conversation Circle (ECC) is an informal, unstructured learning environment where newcomers to Canada can meet and interact with others, practice speaking, listening, and improve conversation skills in variety of situations and setting. Volunteer facilitators for this program does not need to be qualified teachers—but enjoy connecting and talking with people from different backgrounds in order to support newcomers improve spoken English. Volunteer facilitators also engage newcomers with Canadian values and provide basic information on various themes and topics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares materials, topics/themes, simple session plans for upcoming circles
- Conduct small group activities and games to facilitate English learning
- Facilitate learning by engaging and encouraging participants to speak English
- Provides support in defining words and concepts to increase/improve participants’ vocabulary
- Helps participants to speak English with confidence.
Assist with the room set-up and tear-down after each class.
- Familiarity/experience in teaching/group facilitation
- Excellent command of the English language and communication skills
- Cross-cultural experience or commitment to learn about others culture
- Good listener, flexible, patient, empathetic towards others
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- Able to converse with people from various backgrounds and levels of English
- Proven ability to build and maintain positive and professional relationships with guests, staff, and other volunteers
- Completion of information session, volunteer interview and reference check
- Successfully pass the (vulnerable sector) Police Information Check (formerly called Criminal Record Checks)
Level of Commitment:
- At least once a week for 2 hours, every Thursday from April to May 2019 (can be extended, upon agreement) (Short-term to long-term)
- Criminal Records Check Must be at least Yes
This activity occurs between Thursday, April 04, 2019 and Thursday, May 30, 2019
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon