Interns - Public Relations Intern
Assists in the development, production, and implementation of internal and external communications and events for the City organization.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
- Works with one or more departments to formulate strategy as to themes in city information campaigns and recommends outlets for information dissemination;
- Researches, writes, photographs, prepares graphic design, prints, and distributes city and department information such as brochures, public notices, bill inserts, and display advertisements;
- Assists with coordinating media relations, writes news releases and articles, assists with radio and television promotions;
- Assists the Public Information Officer during emergency management situations;
- May assist with scheduling and coordinating high profile special events and projects;
- Coordinates the posting of public information programs on the City’s webpage and social media outlets.
Knowledge of or Interest in:
- Various journalistic styles.
- Current principles, techniques, and objectives of public information and relations programs.
- Social media outlets and trends relating to social media.
- Basic Photoshop and graphic design.
- Communicate orally with other employees, members of the media, other agencies, and the public by telephone, in a one-to-one, face-to-face setting, and in a group setting in the English language.
- Produce written documents using Microsoft Office Suite using proper sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar.
- Comprehend and make inferences from materials written in the English language.
- Organize activities involved in a public relations program.
- Enter data and information into a terminal or personal computer using a keyboard device.
- Moves objects 20 – 50 pounds short distances (20 feet or less).
- Work cooperatively with other employees, media representatives, and the public.
- Current Student Status or Graduate within 2 years Must be at least Yes
- Event Planning Must be at least Yes
- Proficiency with Excel Must be at least Basic
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word Must be at least Intermediate
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon