Library Services - Library Services Volunteer
Are you looking for a rewarding way to help your community? Do you enjoy walking into a library that looks clean and inviting? Would you love to organize and help the library?
Then join our team of volunteers! The San José Public Library is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to maintain and improve our libraries.
How You Will Make a Difference
The library is a wonderful space where people from all ages come together to learn, explore, and work. By volunteering, you will make a valuable contribution to your community by ensuring that all who use the library can easily access the materials, programs, and services in a positive and inviting environment.
Typical day as a Volunteer
- Organize and display materials
- Shelve and inspect selected materials
- Help maintain a clean and welcoming library environment
- Assist with programs
- Other opportunities include photography, special projects and more
- Meet new people and network with library staff and volunteers
- Gain experience for your resumé and/or college application
- Connect with your community to provide an important service
All our volunteers should be dedicated and punctual. Volunteers must contact the library ahead of time if they have to cancel or be late. Required commitment involves:
- Minimum 2 hours per week with a 6-month commitment (may vary depending on library branch)
- Age 15 or over (age requirement varies depending on library branch)
- Fingerprint clearance required for volunteers age 18 and over
- Oral/Written English skills
- Responsible, dependable, and punctual
- Able to file alphabetically, follow directions, and work independently
- Attend multiple training sessions at the library
- Age Must be at least 15+