Virtual Volunteering - Coding5K Program Leader (Virtual)
Do you know Python, C++, Java, SQL, or any other coding language and want to share your skills? Are you interested in leading a coding program if you can follow a curriculum? San José Public Library is looking for coders to host virtual coding programs.
How You Will Make a Difference
Virtual Coding volunteers help connect youth and adults with expert knowledge on their preferred coding language. You will be helping the San José community learn a new and in-demand skill set by providing lesson plans and virtual instruction. Classroom management experience is a plus, but volunteers will be trained in this area by library staff.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Create virtual lesson plans for a specific coding language
- Lead and instruct virtual meetings to teach coding
- Work with a library staff to practice using video conferencing platform, review lesson plans, and manage participants
- Have basic skills for conducting online meetings with SJPL staff support
- Encourage lifelong learning to community youth and adults
- Connect with your community and provide a desired service
- Share or gain experience with program management skills
- Develop mentoring and instruction skills
- Gain experience in training others and working with youth and adults
Willingness to volunteer at least once a week for a 6 month duration. Schedule is dependent on the availability of the volunteer.
- Lead a 6-8 week coding camp for 15-20 pre-reader/elementary/middle school students using one of the CSFirst, code.org, online curricula. The course would cover basic coding ideas and techniques using Scratch or Java.
- Time commitment: 12 hours (8 hours of instruction, 2+ hour of training/orientation, 2 hours of prep time over the 8 week course).
- Lead Girls Only or Girls Who Code club using one of the CSFirst, code.org online curricula, or modules provided on Girls Who Code organization website.
- Time commitment: Ongoing (60 minutes of instruction, prep time and volunteer orientation 1-2 hours).
- Lead a one-time coding experience using curriculum from either CSFirst, Code.org, Swift, Code Club or Hour of Code. All curriculums will be provided by SJPL.
- Time commitment: 5 hours (2 hours of training/orientation, 1 hour of prep, 1-2 hours of instruction.)
- Share your passion with the community- act as a guest speaker to encourage underrepresented communities to explore computer science! Share your CS journey with students of all ages and get them excited to code. SJPL will arrange the virtual event and advertise, and help you craft your talk as needed.
- Time commitment: 3-4 hours (90 minute talk + Q&A session, 30 minute set up, prep time as needed. No fingerprinting needed for a 1 time volunteer opportunity.)
SJPL is also open to volunteer created curricula. We ask however that learning objective, basic lesson plans and requirements be shared with SJPL so that we may properly recruit students for the program.
Prospective volunteers should:
- Be comfortable with coding or have a willingness to learn the curricula which is beginner friendly
- Have experience or comfort with working with people of varying ages, backgrounds and skill levels
- Review course materials prior to class meeting
- Have strong oral communication skills. Bilingual skills desired
- Complete a fingerprint background check, at no cost to you. Only required if you are 18 years or older
- Bilingual skills are highly desired, but not required
- Age Must be at least 15+
- Oral and written communication skills in English Must be at least High
- Skilled in basic internet, email, and Microsoft Office Must be Yes
The next 10 shifts (out of 130 total shifts) for this activity are as follows
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Saturday, January 23, 2021||12:00 PM||1:00 PM|
|Saturday, January 23, 2021||5:00 PM||6:00 PM|
|Monday, January 25, 2021||3:00 PM||4:00 PM|
|Monday, January 25, 2021||5:30 PM||6:30 PM|
|Wednesday, January 27, 2021||3:00 PM||4:00 PM|
|Wednesday, January 27, 2021||4:00 PM||5:00 PM|
|Thursday, January 28, 2021||4:00 PM||5:00 PM|
|Saturday, January 30, 2021||12:00 PM||1:00 PM|
|Saturday, January 30, 2021||5:00 PM||6:00 PM|
|Monday, February 01, 2021||3:00 PM||4:00 PM|