Programmatic - ESL Writing Class Instructor
Help English as a Second Language learners practice and improve their writing skills.
Instructor will be responsible for identifying (with library staff assistance if needed) or developing lesson plans and practice activities on topics such as grammar, tenses, parts of speech, sentence structure, etc.
- 18 years or older
- Completion of at least 1 year of college or a score of 3 or higher on an AP English exam
- Native English speaker OR demonstrated evidence of strong English writing and grammar skills.
- Ability to select from curriculum, materials available from the library or to develop appropriate curriculum for either beginners or advanced ESL students,
- Some teaching or tutoring experience preferred.
Once scheduled, one-hour writing classes will meet once a week.
A Six month time volunteer commitment is required. Instructors will work with library staff to find their preferred scheduling options:
We expect that during your six months, you would offer
- one 16 week class series or
- up to 20 drop-in sessions, or
- at least one 12 week session with one or two special events or presentation sessions, or
- another arrangement that you work out with staff (e.g., maybe offer 3-4 four week sessions).
- Age Must be at least 18+
- Oral communication and written skills in English Must be at least High