Virtual Volunteering - Teen Book and/or Audio/Video Reviewer (Virtual)
Are you looking for a fun way to volunteer from home? San José Public Library is looking for avid book readers interested in writing book review. Each book you review counts as one hour of volunteering. You can write up to 10 reviews for a maximum of 10 hours.
Would you like to expand and write reviews of e-books or audiobooks? How about critiquing some movie that you have watched from a library DVD or streamed from Hoopla?
How You Will Make a Difference
Teen Book Reviewers play a pivotal role in encouraging other teens to read the same fun books from our library catalog that you're reading.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Write a book review following these guidelines
- Book review must be one paragraph long
- Include a short summary of the book
- Write about what you liked or disliked about the book
- Avoid spoilers
- If you are reviewing media, you will probably want to comment also on the audiobook narrators or the acting/lighting/sound or special effects/acting/production highlights of movies as well as on the story itself.
- Send your review to a designated branch librarian. The librarian will ensure it meets the guidelines and get back to you
- Once you hear from the librarian, post your review on our library catalog, sjpl.bibliocommons.com
- Give it an Age rating and a Star rating
- Make sure your review is made public so that it can be seen
- Send the librarian a screenshot of your review, and BOOM! You’ve just earned an hour of volunteer service
- Promotes a love of lifelong reading among youth
- Connect with your community and provide a desired service
- Share your opinions of author's writings
- Develop writing skills
You can write up to 10 reviews for a maximum of 10 hours. Schedule is dependent on the availability of the volunteer.
- Age Must be at least 13+