Programmatic - Reader to Children
Adult Volunteers Needed to Read to Children
(Older teens with library volunteer experience may be considered)
Seeking volunteers to read to children on an ongoing basis
Commitment of 6 months minimum is required
Give children the joy of reading by reading aloud to kids at the Library. Reading occurs in the library's children's area at designated times throughout the day.
Specialized training is required, and will be provided by SJPL staff.
Training sessions may be combined with training for teen Reading Buddies. Some content will Overlap.
Upcoming Fall Reading Buddy / Reading to Children training sessions will be September 12, 6 p.m., September 19 , 3 p.m., and Saturday October 12, 10:30 a.m.
Adults are requested to plan on 1.5 hours for their training to cover book selection, as they will be choosing more of their material and planning more customized reading sessions, whereas teen volunteers who are Reading Buddies will work primarily with materials pre-selected by librarians or the children themselves.
- Selecting appropriate books for reading aloud (Required training is provided).
- Reading aloud to a group of 1-10 children for 30-60 minutes weekly at designated times
- Depending on demand, the Reader to Children may read one-on-one with children or listen to them practice reading aloud.
- Bilingual readers in English/ Spanish are highly desirable, but this is not required.
This position requires fingerprinting for those 18 and over.
Teens 15-17 must have at least 3 months of library volunteering experience (preferably as a Reading Buddy or storytime assistant) before applying to become a regular Reader to Children. Reading Buddies gives teens a chance to help younger children practice reading aloud.)
- Age Must be at least 15+
- Oral communication and written skills in English Must be at least High