Virtual Volunteering - Book Club Leader (Virtual)
Are you an avid reader looking for a rewarding way to virtually connect with your community? San José Public Library is looking for enthusiastic readers interested in leading regular online book discussions to create an online community through a shared love of books.
How You Will Make a Difference
Virtual Book Club Leaders play a pivotal role in bringing together our community through reading no matter where they are.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Understand how to search the SJPL catalog and eBooks for titles that are widely available for people to access from home
- Select appropriate book titles for people to read together
- Lead and facilitate book conversations with and between new people
- Listen attentively and involve everyone in the discussion
- Have basic skills for conducting online meetings with SJPL staff support
- Encourages lifelong learning to community readers
- Connect with your community and provide a social connection
- Gain experience with program management skills
- Develop communication skills
Willingness to volunteer at least once a month for a 6-month duration. Schedule is dependent on the availability of the volunteer.
Prospective volunteers should:
- Be comfortable in leading online meetings and engaging with new people using the Zoom meeting platform
- Be dependable, punctual, and responsible
- Complete a fingerprint background check, at no cost to you. Only required if you are 18 years or older
- Age Must be at least 18+