Programmatic - Summer Math Tutor
Are you interested in providing summertime math tutoring to students in 5th-10th grade? Please signup, then schedule a time to talk with Edith Sutterlin., Coordinator of Volunteer Engagement.
Help local school students to learn math concepts and math problem-solving skills. Watch their confidence build as they master their math comprehension.
- Help students with Common Core math concepts and problems.
- Coach students during appointments available to individuals or small groups at a similar math level - Interested Student participants will be able to sign up for up to 4 sessions at a time to allow some progress and continuity.
- Develop, learn, and/or lead math enrichment activities, including games, to help children strengthen their skills.
Skills/ Experience Needed:
- Dependable, patient, and flexible
- Strong oral communication skills a must
- Prior experience tutoring is a plus, but not required
- Confident in mathematics - concepts, calculations, and problem-solving-- at least up through high school algebra and/or basic geometry required.
- Experience or interest working with youth
- Second language ability a plus, but not required
- For teens: Minimum MATH GPA of 3.0 recommended. Must have the requisite skills to support elementary school students. This can be strength in one subject area or general knowledge in multiple areas.
- For adults: Strong math comprehension and experience/ability to help explain problem solving and math texts.
- For adults: Fingerprint clearance required for volunteers age 18 and over
- Tutors must commit to at least 5 weeks between June 13- August 3
- Tutors must commit to availability of at least one to two hours weekly, Thursday, 3-5 p.m.
- Age Must be at least 15+