Virtual Volunteering - Photography Portfolio Consultant
Do you have an eye for good pictures? San José Public Library is looking for people who are passionate about photography and eager to teach the next generation about capturing the world on film.
How You Will Make a Difference
As a Photography Portfolio Consultant, you will provide vital support for a virtual class by giving beginning youth photographers professional feedback on their work. You will also introduce students to a new hobby or career by answering their questions about photography.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Attend 30 minute planning meeting with instructor
- Attend an hour-long virtual class “iPad Photography Basics” to provide professional feedback on photographs taken by class participants.
- Feedback must be age-appropriate for 6th-8th grade students.
- Students will submit four photos each, one for each week’s topic.
- Help students develop skills in self-expression and art appreciation
- Connect with your community and provide a desired service
- Build experience with educational programs in online settings
Willingness to volunteer at least once a month for a 6-month duration. You will be asked to participate in a 30 minute planning meeting prior to the hour-long program. You will need to be available for the duration of the program.
Prospective volunteers should:
- Have experience with photography and photo composition
- Professional photographer preferred but not required
- Experience working with youth/in educational settings preferred
- Be able to attend training and class session of the virtual program
- Be dependable, punctual, and responsible
- Complete a fingerprint background check, at no cost to you. Only required if you are 18 years or older
- Age Must be at least 18+