Programmatic - Bilingual Storytime Assistant
East San Jose Carnegie Branch is looking for an adult volunteer (at least 18 years old,) who is fluent in Spanish to help a librarian to lead bilingual storytimes weekly
As a volunteer, you would be working directly with a Librarian to present a bilingual storytime in the branch. Storytime requires working with children and families to develop language skills, an appreciation for storytelling, active learning and development, and foster a love for life-long learning.
Currently active teen volunteers 15 years and older may also apply.
All who are interested and can meet the requirements below are welcome to apply.
● Commit to at least 6 months of regular volunteering
● Submit a Fingerprint Background check (paid for by the City of San Jose)
● Be available to volunteer on Thursdays* - 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
(Storytime 5:30 p.m.; Stay and Play c. 6 p.m. )
*We will consider position sharing if we have several qualified volunteers.
○ This includes preparation time when you will meet with the librarian beforehand to practice, and prepare the presentation. Additional time to help with selection and planning is optional.
○ Be available to converse with families during our Stay & Play? time, about 30 minutes after the storytime presentation
● Participate in Storytime Activities: singing, rhymes, reading books aloud, etc.
● Must be able to pass a brief spoken Spanish language competency test with a certified SJPL staff member.
● Give 24 hours’ notice if you are unable to come for storytime, either by email or by calling the branch and speaking to a staff member.
● Provide references that can speak to your fluency in the desired language, your experience working with children and families, and/or providing storytimes in the past.
● Complete a short training with a branch Librarian.
● Experience working with small children and families. You may also be asked to translate upcoming program details to families.
● Experience hosting storytimes in English and Spoken Language is preferred, but not required.
● Be willing to complete other storytime trainings when available.
- Age Must be at least 15+
- Oral communication and written skills in Spanish Must be at least High