Art Docent - Art and Library History Tour Docent
Did you know that there are 33 "sculptural insertions" integrated into Dr. Martin Luther King library? You can guide community members to the hidden gems of the Library. Comprehensive training is provided with a chance to learn about the inner workings of the Library. Multilingual speakers in Spanish, Vietnamese, or Chinese are highly desired.
How You Will Make a Difference
The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library is the face and central location of the San Jose Public Library as well as San Jose State University. Library docents play a pivotal role in welcoming newcomers to the Library and the City of San José. Your main goal is to connect with library users and get them excited and engaged with the art in the Library.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Meet customers on the 1st floor of the MLK Library
- Lead a 1 hour tour to familiarize customers and visitors with the library so that they leave feeling informed and engaged
- Collect customer feedback by handing out feedback surveys
- Adapt to customer needs and interests
- Assist with special Library events and projects
- Receive detailed training on Library art and history
- Encourage lifelong learning to community members
- Share and gain experience as a tour guide
- Meet and network with a diverse group of people
Willingness to sign up for at least one drop-in tour date a month, any Thursday at 11:30 –12:30. Willingness to assist with special library events and projects as needed.
- Prospective volunteers must be comfortable in engaging library users and visitors
- Age 18 or over
- Must complete a fingerprint background check (at no cost to you)
- Language skills in Vietnamese, Spanish, and Chinese are a plus but not required
- Age Must be at least 18+
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account