Programmatic - Coding5k Program Leader - Intermediate Java
The Coding5k Challenge seeks to increase access to coding focused programs and deepen the quality of programming through the use of both assessment tools and expert volunteers.
Join a small group of like-minded Java programmers to work together collaboratively as a team to teach 12-16 year olds Intermediate Java. This will require pre-planning meetings to create learning objectives, basic lesson plans, develop curriculum and an assessment component.
How You Will Make a Difference
You will be an important part of enhancing the library’s ability to offer quality STEAM programming to Silicon Valley students. Coding exposes students of all ages to new learning opportunities, and builds skills that reinforce academic success; skills like creativity, risk-taking, collaboration, and the idea that learning is a process rather than a product.
- Set up the program area
- Provide instruction consistent with the program format and provided curriculum
- Communicate regularly with staff about scheduling and program
- Assist with promotional efforts for the program
- Encourage lifelong learning to community youth
- Connect with your community and provide a desired service
- Share or gain experience with program management skills
- Develop mentoring skills
- Gain experience in training others and working with youth
Lead a 6-8 week coding camp for 12-16 year olds in Intermediate Java. The course would cover intermediate coding ideas and techniques.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Prospective volunteers will be interviewed by the Youth Services Coding coordinator.
- Experience in Java programming.
- Classroom management experience is a plus but volunteers will have guidance in this area by SJPL.
- If 18 years of age or older, must complete a fingerprint background check (at no cost to you)
- Have experience or comfort with working with youth of varying ages, backgrounds and skill levels.
- Review course materials prior to class meeting.
- Age Must be at least 15+