Volunteer Opportunities - Computer Access Volunteer, Rock Bay Landing Shelter
Please apply directly by contacting:
Erin Gallagher, email@example.com
Volunteer Administrator, Cool Aid Shelters
Location / Venue:
Rock Bay Landing Emergency Shelter
535 Ellice Street
Help people struggling with homelessness to reconnect with their families and build important job-readiness skills by supervising our free access computer room at Rock Bay Landing, Victoria's largest emergency shelter. The shelter's computer room is only open when we have volunteers like you to help, and is an important resource that helps many overcome the challenges of homelessness!
Our computer lab is an area run by volunteers, some of whom have specific training and skills which they are able to use in support of the people using the computers – including filing taxes, sending emails, writing resumes, trouble-shooting computer issues, etc. It tends to be a quieter space within the shelter, and it’s an important resource that helps many overcome the challenges of homelessness by finding housing and jobs. We need volunteers to help maintain a safe and welcoming, non-judgemental environment where people struggling with homelessness can reconnect with their families and build important job-readiness skills (as well as playing video games, reading emails, etc.).
This area has some volunteer spots available, although we don’t have shifts available on all days (volunteer times are 10am-11am, 12:15-2:30pm, 5-7pm, and 7-9pm).
Please email Erin Gallagher, volunteer administrator for Cool Aid's shelters (firstname.lastname@example.org), to find out more information about this opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people experiencing homelessness.
Please note that volunteers who work directly with shelter clients are required to complete a criminal record check prior to commencing their volunteer role (we'll help you apply - it's free).
Thanks so much for your interest in volunteering with the Victoria Cool Aid Society. You can find out more about our organization by visiting www.coolaid.org .
- CPR Level "C" Must be Asset
- Criminal Record Check Must be Mandatory to Volunteer
This activity occurs between Tuesday, September 06, 2016 and Monday, May 01, 2017
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - Afternoon, Evening, Through the night
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon
VICTORIA COOL AID SOCIETY
Homelessness touches many lives at a significant cost to communities. The Cool Aid Society has been a key player in the work to end homelessness in the Capital Region for decades and, with your help, is developing 360 more apartments for people who are currently homeless.
We act to end homelessness by working in partnership with others to develop community-based solutions. We are committed to working in a non-judgmental way with adults experiencing marginalization in Greater Victoria by advocating for and providing emergency shelter, supportive housing, integrated health care and other support services.
The Victoria Cool Aid Society acts to end homelessness and improve our quality of life by working with others to build a community where:
- No one is forced to sleep on the street or go hungry.
- Everyone who needs supportive housing is getting it.
- Integrated health care service to treat illness and promote wellness is provided.
- Integrated services are provided to those with mental health and addiction issues.
- We demonstrate reliability, good faith and integrity in all our relationships
- We foster a workplace culture that embraces innovation, teamwork, leadership and knowledge sharing.
- We make and keep our commitments.
- We are accountable for our actions and measure and share our contribution to the community.
- We appreciate and acknowledge the contributions of our employees, volunteers, donors and partners.
- We support and value participation, build partnerships, and encourage shared leadership in our community.
- We treat all people with respect, dignity and fairness.
- We look at the environment through the eyes of our clients.
- We are innovative, learn from our experiences and the input of others, and make effective change.
- We are action oriented and advocate for those we serve.
- We are committed to promoting fairness and equity within our organization.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account