Volunteer Opportunities - Hairstylist - Rock Bay Landing shelter
Please contact directly (do not apply through Volunteer Victoria website)...
Erin Gallagher: firstname.lastname@example.org, 250.383.1951x4
Volunteer Administrator, Cool Aid Shelters
Location / Venue:
Rock Bay Landing Emergency Shelter
535 Ellice Street
Do you want to help men and women experiencing homelessness feel good about themselves?
For people staying at the Rock Bay Landing Emergency Shelter, Victoria's largest homeless shelter, the pressures of surviving often mean that looking and feeling good are a low priority. Our shelter has a dedicated barber shop to provide hair care for our clients, because we know that a haircut can make a huge difference in how much stigma and discrimination people face in the world. Unfortunately we're not able to open that space without the help of dedicated volunteers like you!
We need volunteers to provide haircuts and styling services who have experience - preferably with formal training or certification. You will need to provide some of your own equipment (we have chair/bibs/sink/donated supplies). You are a compassionate, non-judgmental and accepting person willing to work with people experiencing homelessness.
Please email Erin Gallagher, volunteer administrator for Cool Aid's shelters (email@example.com), to find out more information about this opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people experiencing homelessness.
Please note that volunteers who work directly with shelter clients are required to complete a criminal record check prior to commencing their volunteer role. We'll help you through this process, which is free for volunteers.
Thanks so much for your interest in volunteering with the Victoria Cool Aid Society. You can find out more about our organization by visiting www.coolaid.org .
- CPR Level "C" Must be Asset
- Criminal Record Check Must be Mandatory to Volunteer
- Current WHMIS Certification Must be Asset
This activity occurs between Tuesday, September 06, 2016 and Saturday, September 02, 2017
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - All Day
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - All Day
- Sunday - All Day
VICTORIA COOL AID SOCIETY
Homelessness touches many lives at a significant cost to communities. The Cool Aid Society has been a key player in the work to end homelessness in the Capital Region for decades and, with your help, is developing 360 more apartments for people who are currently homeless.
We act to end homelessness by working in partnership with others to develop community-based solutions. We are committed to working in a non-judgmental way with adults experiencing marginalization in Greater Victoria by advocating for and providing emergency shelter, supportive housing, integrated health care and other support services.
The Victoria Cool Aid Society acts to end homelessness and improve our quality of life by working with others to build a community where:
- No one is forced to sleep on the street or go hungry.
- Everyone who needs supportive housing is getting it.
- Integrated health care service to treat illness and promote wellness is provided.
- Integrated services are provided to those with mental health and addiction issues.
- We demonstrate reliability, good faith and integrity in all our relationships
- We foster a workplace culture that embraces innovation, teamwork, leadership and knowledge sharing.
- We make and keep our commitments.
- We are accountable for our actions and measure and share our contribution to the community.
- We appreciate and acknowledge the contributions of our employees, volunteers, donors and partners.
- We support and value participation, build partnerships, and encourage shared leadership in our community.
- We treat all people with respect, dignity and fairness.
- We look at the environment through the eyes of our clients.
- We are innovative, learn from our experiences and the input of others, and make effective change.
- We are action oriented and advocate for those we serve.
- We are committed to promoting fairness and equity within our organization.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account