Fostering - Short term foster volunteer
Would you like a pet but are not in a position to give long term commitment? Do you have a spare room you could offer a needy cat or time to devote to cheering up an unhappy dog or a small pet? Blue Cross is looking for kind hearted committed people who can offer short term care to needy dogs, cats or small pets in their own homes.
What you will be doing:
- Caring for Blue Cross pets in your own home until they can be rehomed
- Pets might be recuperating from operations, too young to rehome or cannot cope with life in our rehoming centres
- Pets may be pregnant females or mums and litters
- You will be providing all the care they need – feeding, exercising, cleaning, socialising, giving medication and grooming
You will need to keep accurate records of their time with you
Flexible Fostering Options:
- We offer flexible fostering to accommodate the varying needs of people and pets
- Short term fostering until a pet finds their new home – this can be from a few days to a few weeks, or in some cases a few months - or for a specified period of time based on your availability.
- Evening fostering – the pet comes to the centre during the day and stays with you in the evenings, great if you work during the day but would like to help a pet in need. Pick up and drop off between the hours of 8.30am – 4.30pm.
- Weekenders! Give a pet in need respite by staying with you for the weekend!
- Day trippers – Take a dog offsite for a walk. Pick up and drop off between the hours of 8.30am – 4.30pm.
Dogs, cats and small pets are all in need of foster homes
What we are looking for:
- Experience of handling and caring for pets
- You need to live within 45 minutes of the centre and have use of suitable transport to collect and drop off our pets (sometimes at short notice)
- A spare room if fostering cats, a garden is beneficial if fostering dogs
- Preferably no other pets but we can talk about this if you do.
- Willingness to learn and follow Blue Cross procedures
Competent, flexible and self motivated animal lovers
Benefits to you:
- You’ll be helping pets to have happy, healthy lives
- Enjoy all the joys of pet ownership without long term commitment and cost
- Gain practical skills and experience
- Develop skills and enhance your CV
- Join a great team of like-minded people
- Arrangements will be made for holidays
All equipment provided and costs covered
This opportunity is available at our Tiverton Rehoming Centre .
You need to be aged 18 years and above for this role.
Time commitment: You will need to be at home most/part of the day to care for a dog, and to be available at possible short notice.
Contact: Telephone number: 03007771560
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you live within 45 minutes travelling time of a Blue Cross rehoming centre or hospital? Must be at least No
- Fostering induction Must be at least Completed