Education - Speaker (General pet care and dog safety)
Do you love pets and enjoy working with children and young people? Do you find it rewarding to share your knowledge about responsible pet ownership, influencing a new generation of pet owners and potentially improving the lives of hundreds of pets?
Blue Cross is looking for confident and self-motivated volunteers to talk to children in schools and youth groups about responsible pet ownership and dog safety.
What you will be doing:
- Based from home, visiting groups in your local area
- Giving talks to children at local nurseries, primary and secondary schools and youth groups such as Cubs and Brownies
- Approaching local teachers and youth leaders about our education work
- Ordering resources from the education office
What we are looking for:
- You must be at least 17 years old with access to your own car or reliable public transport
- Computer literate as you will be given access to your own Blue Cross email address
- Preferably experience working with young people and caring for pets
- A good communicator, organised and self-motivated
- Confident public speaker and willing to talk in front of sometimes large groups of children and young people
- Preferably have time to give talks during the day
Benefits to you:
- You’ll be helping pets to have healthy, happy lives
- A chance to inspire children and young people to make better choices for pets
- Some volunteers bring their own dog on visits, if the dog passes the Blue Cross temperament test (to find out more about the dog test click here )
- You will be given a resource kit, polo shirt and expenses for travel to and from the talk
- Training via e-learning on Blue Cross work, basic pet care and tips on speaking to children and young people
- Ongoing support and training through e-learning, webinars, FB activities, mentoring from your Education Officer and optional volunteer meet ups
- Gain practical skills and experience for your CV
- Join a great team of like-minded people
Time commitment: We ask our volunteers to commit to a minimum of six talks per year, which equates to one a term. Many of our volunteers deliver more talks.
This opportunity is available nationwide across the UK.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account