Summer Literacy Program Volunteer
PROGRAM NAME: Immigrant Youth Services
POSITION TITLE: Summer Literacy Program Volunteer
SCHEDULE: Monday – Thursday 10:00-4:00 (must commit to at least 1 day/week) from
July 25 - August 26, 2022
LOCATION: 5 – 32700 George Ferguson Way, plus outings
REPORTS TO: Coby Piazza, Program Coordinator
Summer Literacy Program volunteers will support the program facilitators to provide a fun and educational summer literacy program to newcomer youth aged 12-18. The program includes classroom activities and recreational outings.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Being a welcoming presence to participants who may have limited ability to speak or understand English
- Provide one-to-one support to participants who need additional help in the classroom as they learn English
- Preparing lunch for participants
- Accompanying participants on outings and joining in on recreational activities
- Encouraging participants to join in and have a good time
Education and Certification:
- Criminal record check – vulnerable sector
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Strong verbal communication in English and active listening skills
- Comfortable in a diverse multicultural setting
- Ability to speak in a language other than English is an asset
- Switching tasks
- Indoor classroom work and outdoor activities in all weather, including walking to parks and other venues
- Working in large groups and one-to-one with clients
- Accountability and Dependability: Takes personal ownership and responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work commitments. Follows organizational guidelines, professional standards, regulations and principles. Demonstrates reliability and integrity on a daily basis. Reliable and dependable in performing job-related tasks, finishing assigned projects, meeting deadlines and appointments. Communicates delays in work and renegotiates deadlines in a timely manner.
- Communication: Respectfully listens to others to gain a full understanding of issues; comprehends written material; presents information in a clear and concise manner orally and in writing to ensure others understand his/her ideas; appropriately adapts his/her message, style, and tone to accommodate a variety of audiences. Expressing and transmitting information with consistency and clarity, using active listening techniques in order to effectively understand provided feedback, summarizing information according to the audience in order to increase understanding.
- Ethics, Integrity, Confidentiality, and Trust: Models and promotes honesty and integrity within and with others. Takes the right action at the right time and in a manner that complies with the processes and procedures of the organization and the law. Demonstrates effective discretion, builds rapport with others and maintains confidentiality. Displays honesty and transparency that exhibits the values and mission of the workplace.
- Valuing Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciating and leveraging the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Working effectively with individuals of diverse style, ability, and motivation. Seeking to be inclusive of all abilities, cultures, and backgrounds; challenging exclusionary practices.
- Professionalism: Behaves with fairness and consistency in communication, daily interactions, and decision-making. Shares information and ideas with others in a collaborative manner. Maintaining consistent lines of communication with manager, supervisor, team members and clients communicating deadlines, issues, status updates, and successes. Maintaining appropriate interpersonal relationships and boundaries with staff and clients.