PROGRAM NAME: Access2English
POSITION TITLE: Literacy Tutor
SCHEDULE: 2-4 hours per week
LOCATION: Apollo or a Public Location
REPORTS TO: Paulette
Do you have a passion for helping others with literacy? Our program is seeking volunteers who can offer tutoring to individual adults who want to upgrade their reading, writing, numeracy and computer skills.
Volunteering consists of tutoring either one on one or within small groups on a regular basis, and monitoring student progress. Training is provided.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet with a learner on a regular basis (2-4 hrs per week)
- Attend a program orientation and at least 3 evening tutor training workshops any time between September and June
- Track and submit learner contact hours and communicate regularly with the Program Co-ordinator and/or the Tutor Trainer concerning the learner’s progress and needs
- After training, use a proficiency grid to assess and report a learner’s progress
- Assist learners with identifying and reaching realistic, specific literacy goals
- Organize useful and effective session plans
- Create a safe and secure learning environment for the learner
- Interact respectfully and non-judgmentally with learners regardless of their background, gender, age, and ability
- Consistently interact with learners in a friendly but professional manner
- Consistently keep the tutoring sessions focussed on actual learner needs
- Communicate clearly and positively with learners of all proficiency levels
Education and Certification:
- Criminal Record Check Completed
- Minimum 19 Years of age
- Some Post-Secondary Education is an asset
- Teaching Experience is an asset
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Must demonstrate a high level of English language reading, writing, and oral communication skills
- High level of organizational skills
- Must be a native English Speaker
- Tutor can take place at Apollo or a public location of choice. Must have reliable transportation available.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account