📝 Currently Recruiting - Crisis Support Workers Training - Feb 2022 (Mackay)
Note: When completing the Application form, we encourage you to select the box "I want to receive text messages on my mobile" to ease future communications.
Information Session: February 2022
Applications Close: To be confirmed
Training Commences: May 2022
Lifeline - Keeping Queenslanders safe.
Lifeline is committed to bringing hope to Australians doing it tough. A trusted national charity, we’re driven by the belief that Australian lives lost to suicide can be prevented. In Queensland, we deliver our 24-hour 13 11 14 Lifeline Crisis Support line through 10 Lifeline centres – providing suicide prevention services with a non-judgmental and compassionate listening ear. Backed by more than 6000 volunteers, our network of 130 Lifeline retail shops sell new, donated and pre-loved goods to help fund our crisis support services.
Lend an ear to people in need.
Sometimes people just need to be heard. We are always looking for people, from all walks of life, who can be generous with their time to help us respond to callers to provide empathy and compassion so that they feel connected, heard and understood.
We would love to hear from you if you can:
- demonstrate good communication and listening skills
- show empathy and have a non-judgemental attitude
- volunteer for 4-6 hours a fortnight
- pass a comprehensive selection criteria and
- successfully complete the nationally-recognised Lifeline Telephone Crisis Supporter training program
Being a volunteer crisis supporter will offer you the opportunity to:
- develop your practical crisis support skills
- experience personal growth and development
- improve your communication skills
- increase your self-awareness
- give back to the community
- pursue further career opportunities in this area
The nationally recognised Crisis Support Worker Training course, delivered locally by our Lifeline Centres under the Lifeline Australia RTO 88036, is a requirement of this volunteer role. The initial training consists of 10 topics delivered face-to-face and/or online, requiring a commitment of 6-8 hours per week followed by a commitment of 12 months to professional development and phone shift hours.
The course fee is $450
Volunteering with us you will be part of a small, close-knit team of supportive volunteers and employees in our call centre located in Mackay.
Tasks involved include:
▪ Complete training to become a qualified Crisis Supporter
▪ Respond to phone calls, web chat or through Lifeline Text
▪ Active listening
▪ If needed, create a safety plan
▪ Records keeping
▪ Good listening skills
▪ Empathy & Compassion
▪ Commitment to helping others
▪ Strong verbal and written English communication skills
▪ A good level of computer literacy
▪ COVID-19 Vaccination
▪ Blue Card for working with children
▪ Australian Federal Police check
Transport and Parking Options:
▪ Onsite parking and/or free public parking is available
This role is accessible for people using:
▪ an assistance animal
UnitingCare values diversity in our organisation and we have some principles in place that will help to promote both inclusion and access. If you have any other accessibility requirements, please discuss these at the time of the interview.