Community Council - Community Council Member
Volunteers will not be assigned to this activity; it is meant as a job description only. Please use the other Community Council member activity to log hours.
Community Councils help chart the future direction of the BC SPCA by participating in the governance system of the Society and providing functional support to their local branch. Click here to view our Community Council job description.
Responsibilities for Members include:
- Participating in the governance structure of the Society by electing members of the Board of Directors; considering amendments to the Society's Constitution and Bylaws; providing input into the annual branch budget and development of Society policy and direction; and promoting membership in the Society.
- Supporting the Branch Manager with assistance in the areas of fundraising; humane education; advocacy; and volunteer development, and providing input into facility planning and the delivery of services at the branch.
- Ability to operate professionally in non-profit environment
- Previous governance experience an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented, organized and dependable
- Existing community relationships a plus!
Requirements for the Position:
- 19 years of age or older
- Must be a member of the BC SPCA ($30)
- Complete an online volunteer application
- Complete an interview with the Community Council or with the Branch Manager in the absence of a Community Council
- Attend a governance presentation within three months of accepting the position
- Approximately 10-15 hours per month, including prep work for and attendance at Community Council meetings, regional meetings and branch events
- Minimum one year term, two preferred
Benefits for You!
- Make a difference in the lives of BC's most vulnerable animals
- Provide input into the development of BC SPCA policy and direction
- Boost the profile of the BC SPCA in your community
- Increase your networking opportunities
- Attend BC SPCA professional development opportunities
- Age range Must be at least 19 years of age or older
- Governance Presentation Must be Completed
- Interview Must be Completed