Subcommittees - Practice Standards Subcommittee - SME Roster
The Practice Standards Subcommittee (PSSC) is established by the Practice Review Board (PRB) and oversees the creation of, and revisions to, professional practice standards, guidelines, and bulletins for APEGA licensed professionals and permit holders. Through assessment and evaluation, PSSC ensures professional practice standards, guidelines, and bulletins hold paramount the health, safety, and welfare of the public and have regard for the environment. The PSSC performs this function through SMEs who are experienced licensed professionals.
Average time commitment
Three-year term, with the potential for reappointment. Additional time commitments include:
- Attend SME Panel meetings as required by a specific project; the meetings are typically two hour long but may, on occasion, last longer
Skills and qualifications
- Candidates for this position must be a Professional geoscientist in good standing with APEGA
- Significant experience as a professional member, ideally with more than 10 years of industry, regulatory, or public service experience
- Familiarity with the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act and regulations, APEGA practice standards and guidelines, and the Continuing Professional Development Program
- Experience managing a team of at least five people and familiar with group decision making, analytical thinking, and teamwork
- Experience with regulatory boards or committees is an asset
Duties and expectations
- Serve a three-year term in a standing SME Roster with potential for a reappointment
- Participate in a SME Panel if selected and called upon by the PSSC for a specific project to create or revise a standard, guideline or bulletin
- Actively participate in meetings, specifically reviewing the meeting agenda and materials in advance of each meeting to facilitate constructive discussion
- Bring your subject matter expertise and industry perspective to actively review and contribute to the content of standards and guidelines, keeping self-regulation of professions of engineering and geoscience in mind
- Positively represent APEGA externally, educating both APEGA members and the public on the APEGA professional practice standards and guidelines
This posting will remain open until September 30th, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found.
- How many years of experience do you have as a Professional Member? Must be at least 11-20 Years
- What is your professional designation? Must be at least P.Geo.