APEGA Science Olympics - Curriculum Development Work Group
The APEGA K-12 Outreach Team is seeking enthusiastic volunteers interested in joining the Curriculum Development Work Group for the 2021 APEGA Science Olympics! Members of the Work Group are responsible for developing the challenges for next year’s APEGA Science Olympics events. If you have volunteered at an event previously, this is a great opportunity to become more involved and share your creative ideas with thousands of students!
- Practicing or retired professional member, E.I.T., G.I.T., university student member or applicant in Engineering or Geoscience - non-members with related experience in outreach, education, or STEM fields are encouraged to apply
- Interest in promoting engineering, geoscience, technology, and related careers to students in Grades 1-12.
- Must have volunteered at an APEGA Science Olympics event in the previous three years. Extensive outreach experience will be considered in lieu of this requirement.
- Personal device (laptop or smartphone) with video conferencing capability. (i.e. webcam and microphone)
- Attend all virtual meetings with fellow Curriculum Development volunteers and teacher advisors.
- Research and develop curriculum-appropriate challenges for students in Grades 1-12 referencing a variety of sources, including previous Science Olympics events.
- Each participant will be responsible for developing one challenge and associated materials. If desired, they may act as a Challenge Manager for their challenge on the day of the Science Olympics event. This is not mandatory and will be considered a separate volunteer role.
- Provide recommendations to improve challenges and challenge evaluation. This includes testing challenges for viability, safety, and age-appropriateness.
- Prepare detailed write-up for their challenge, outlining instructions, requirements, and any relevant background information.
- Prepare detailed judging rubric for their challenge, including evaluation of teams’ soft skills.
- Meet submission deadlines as outlined by APEGA staff.
- May be asked to assist with construction and packing of project materials.
- Meetings will be held virtually using video conferencing software
- Meetings will be held in September and October 2020
- Meeting timing and duration will be determined based on successful applicants’ availability
- Do you have a personal device (laptop or smartphone) with video conferencing capability that you are willing to use for this opportunity? Must be Yes
- Have you volunteered at APEGA Science Olympics in the past 3 years? Must be Yes