Nature Centre Host - Nature Centre Host
Applications for this position are now CLOSED for Spring 2020.
If you signed up for this activity prior to March 1, 2020, you will be contacted to complete the application process and attend an orientation.
Sign up for this activity if you would like to be contacted when applications are open again.
The Surrey Nature Centre is a unique facility – the only one of its kind in the City of Surrey – and we are seeking volunteers to help care for and share this special place. If you are interested in spending time outdoors and sharing the joy of nature with others, this position could be a great fit for you.
Ongoing training is provided and the role offers flexible scheduling and responsibilities. Help maintain our bird watching area, share books during story time, get park visitors involved in citizen science projects, and more.
- Share knowledge and appreciation for Surrey’s urban forest
- Engage with visitors at the centre
- Facilitate nature activities for the public and assist with nature walks
- Support participants and other volunteers at Nature Centre programs and events
- Assist staff with set-up and take down of programs and events
- Collect data for citizen science projects, individually and/or with park visitors
- Help maintain indoor and outdoor spaces, such as the bird feeders
- Receive training in plant and animal identification, nature interpretation, site operations, and group instruction and supervision
- Create meaningful memories with park visitors
- Develop confidence in public speaking and leadership skills
- Gain networking opportunities and experience working in nature with all ages
- Earn volunteer hours and a personalized letter of reference upon request
- Comfortable working in all weather conditions
- Able to communicate in English, spoken and written
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to travel to Surrey Nature Centre at Green Timbers Park
- Knowledge of local plants and animals
- Previous experience working with children and/or the public
- Able to communicate in additional languages
- Attend all required training sessions
- Sign up for and attend shifts throughout the year, at least once per season
- Fill out an online application for Friends of the Forest and sign up under the Opportunities tab for "Nature Centre Host” by Feb 29, 2020
- and, unless previously completed,
- Provide 2 references (form provided by email)
- Successfully complete an interview with Surrey Nature Centre staff
- Successfully complete a Police Information Check (free for volunteers)
A limited number of volunteers will be accepted for this opportunity.
For more information about this volunteer position, please contact the Surrey Nature Centre at email@example.com or call 604-502-6065
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - All Day
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - All Day
- Sunday - All Day