Urban Forestry Leader (18+) - - Urban Forestry Leader (18+)
Recruitment for this program is currently closed. Sign up for this activity to be notified when recruitment re-opens (scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "+ Sign Up").
Engage our community in exploring and caring for Surrey’s urban forest! Urban Forestry Leaders support other volunteers in hands-on park and tree stewardship projects and host nature activities at environmental events around Surrey.
- Promote nature appreciation and the City of Surrey’s environmental programs
- Help staff to instruct and provide support to volunteers at stewardship events (proper techniques and safe tool use for invasive plant removals, tree & shrub planting, tree well care)
- Help staff with set-up, take-down and site preparation at events
- Facilitate nature activities and walks at events throughout Surrey
- Future opportunities to host and lead small work parties without staff in parks throughout Surrey
- Receive training in urban ecology, plant identification, ecological restoration, nature interpretation and group instruction and supervision.
- Make a direct impact on the health of our community and urban forest.
- Develop confidence in public speaking and leadership skills.
- Gain networking opportunities and experience in the nature interpretation and urban forestry fields.
- Ongoing training opportunities to further develop knowledge and skills.
- Earn volunteer hours and a personalized letter of reference upon request.
- 18+ years old
- Comfortable working in all weather conditions
- Strong communication skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to travel throughout Surrey
- Existing knowledge of local flora and fauna
- Previous experience working with children and/or the public
- Able to communicate in additional languages
- Attend the three training sessions
- Volunteer a minimum of once per month from April – October. Shifts are usually 4-5 hours in length, and take place mainly on weekend afternoons and occasionally on weekday evenings.
- Fill out an online application for Friends of the Forest and sign up under the Opportunities tab for "- Urban Forestry Leader (18+)"
- Provide 2 references (form provided by email)
- Successfully complete an interview
- Successfully complete a Police Information Check (free for volunteers)
A limited number of volunteers are accepted for this leadership opportunity.
Questions? Contact Sarah Brookes at SVBrookes@surrey.ca, or (604) 501-7687.
Page last updated: February 1, 2019
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday Evening
- Tuesday Evening
- Wednesday Evening
- Thursday Evening
- Friday Evening
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon