Surrey Art Gallery Docent Program - About
Due to the current pandemic the Gallery's volunteer program is not accepting new applicants. Existing volunteers may choose to participate in online programs and training. We invite you to explore the Gallery's online programming series - Art Together and to schedule a visit to view our exhibitions. We hope you'll consider volunteering once we're able to resume the program.
Docent (Tour Guide)
The Docent Apprenticeship Program is designed to introduce participants to the intricacies, joys and challenges of working as a gallery educator or docent. Apprentices participate in a program of independent study investigating contemporary art, education theory and touring.
Docent apprentices also learn under the guidance of docent mentors, observe tours and assist with portions of school tours. Finally, apprentices attend docent meetings and assist with tours prior to leading tours independently.
- Facilitate tours, discussions and hands-on activities for schools and community groups
- Participate in preparing and planning for exhibit tours
- Research and study exhibition-related material
- Liaise with teachers, school groups and gallery staff
- Participate in ongoing Docent training, gallery lectures and program evaluation
- A passion for contemporary art
- Enjoy working with children and youth
- Responsible and reliable
- Comfortable working within a diverse community
- Great communication and people skills
- Enjoy contributing to a team and be able to work independently
- Able to volunteer approximately 15 hours per month from September - June
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Contribute to a vital community program – make a real contribution to the arts
- Learn about contemporary art in sessions with artists, curatorial staff, and gallery educators
- Camaraderie - engage with a dynamic, friendly social group
- Develop presentation and public speaking skills
- Gain experience as an educator
- Participate in field trips
- Receive a 10% discount at the SAGA Gift Shop
For more information:
- Contact Chris Dawson-Murphy, Volunteer Program Coordinator: email@example.com
About Surrey Art Gallery
As a result of the current pandemic the Gallery is not accepting new applicants to the volunteer program at this time. We invite you to explore the Gallery's online programming series - Art Together and to schedule a visit to view our exhibitions. We hope you'll consider volunteering once we're able to safely resume the program.
Join a dynamic community of volunteers dedicated to enriching art education for children! Surrey Art Gallery Docents lead engaging tours of contemporary art exhibitions from September to June. Participants take part in ongoing training with curators, artist-educators, and artists.
Interact with artists and engage Gallery visitors with contemporary art and ideas. Help out at vibrant events like exhibition openings and artist talks or facilitate art activities at Family Sundays and festivals where families explore, enjoy, and create art together.
Share your passion for art with eager young minds! Help out with children's art classes and week-long art day camps as a CAPA where you'll develop leadership skills, organize studios, work with children, and assist the instructor.
Discover contemporary art and ideas, develop public speaking skills, and gain leadership experience. Become a Youth Docent and enhance exhibitions through activities that are equal parts fun and educational.
Do you have training as a library technician or librarian? We could use your help and expertise with accessioning and cataloguing in the Gallery's research collection.
How to Apply:
- Complete an online profile for the Surrey Art Gallery at app.betterimpact.com
- Upload 2 written references to your online profile
- Once you've uploaded your references, arrange for an interview with our Volunteer Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- After the interview, you may be asked to provide a Police Information Check. Should this be the case, we will provide you with the forms you will need to complete and have processed by the RCMP.
Thanks for your interest in volunteering at the Gallery!