Surrey Art Gallery Research Library - About becoming a Library Volunteer - some previous experience or training required
Do you have a love of books and contemporary art? If so, we could us your help! Gallery Library Volunteers work behind the scenes to organize and maintain our specialized research collection.
- Accessioning new collection materials
- Maintaining Library collection database
- Print records to various formats: cards, labels, etc.
- Organize and shelve library materials
- Work collaboratively with librarians, staff, and the volunteer coordinator
- Volunteer weekly for 3-4 hours and commit to volunteer for a period of one year
- Experience working in a library and/or training in library systems
- A background/interest in art preferred
- Competency with computers and data entry
- Knowledge of Dewey decimal system
- Excellent organizational skills, self motivation, flexibility and enthusiasm
- An aptitude for working within systems
- Excellent attention to detail
- An ability to; accept direction, work independently, and work as part of a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Initial training: weekly shifts for one month
- Ongoing: with co-Librarians and staff
- Experience working in a Gallery Library with experienced staff and volunteers
- Involvement in a vital arts institution
- Letter of reference upon request
- 10% discount for volunteers at the SAGA Gift Shop
- Participation in volunteer recognition events
Contact Chris Dawson-Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org | 604-501-5198
About Surrey Art Gallery
Do you find art captivating? Why not try something new! Volunteering at Surrey Art Gallery is a great way to have fun, learn about art, and make friends in the process.
Join a dynamic community of volunteers dedicated to enriching art education for children! Surrey Art Gallery Docents lead engaging tours of contemporary art exhibitions from September to June. Participants take part in ongoing training with curators, artist-educators, and artists.
Interact with artists and engage Gallery visitors with contemporary art and ideas. Help out at vibrant events like exhibition openings and artist talks or facilitate art activities at Family Sundays and festivals where families explore, enjoy, and create art together.
Share your passion for art with eager young minds! Help out with children's art classes and week-long art day camps as a CAPA where you'll develop leadership skills, organize studios, work with children, and assist the instructor.
Discover contemporary art and ideas, develop public speaking skills, and gain leadership experience. Become a Youth Docent and enhance exhibitions through activities that are equal parts fun and educational.
Do you have training as a library technician or librarian? We could use your help and expertise with accessioning and cataloguing in the Gallery's research collection.
How to Apply:
- Complete an online profile for the Surrey Art Gallery at app.betterimpact.com
- Upload 2 written references to your online profile
- Once you've uploaded your references, arrange for an interview with our Volunteer Program Coordinator: email@example.com
- After the interview, you may be asked to provide a Police Information Check. Should this be the case, we will provide you with the forms you will need to complete and have processed by the RCMP.
Thanks for your interest in volunteering at the Gallery!