Emergency Support Services Level 1 (Ages 18+) - ESS Level 1
ESS level 1
Respond to emergencies to coordinate support for those evacuated. Be a part of a team available to provide food, clothing, and shelter to those who have experienced a disaster and have nowhere to go. This program brings relief to those who have suddenly lost everything and do not know where to turn.
What we do:
- Get notified by Surrey Fire dispatch when ESS is required
- Communicate with the ESS team to let them know your availability to attend
- Respond to a fire hall with the ESS team to pick up supplies
- Respond to the scene of the disaster to support the evacuees
- Coordinate shelter and provide vouchers for food and clothing
- Participate in online training
- Participate in peer mentoring
How you will grow:
- Contribute to the safety of the community
- Acquire teamwork and communication skills to enhance future work opportunities
- Earn volunteer hours and public safety experience with hands-on work
- Working in teams
- Comfortable engaging with the public
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to take initiative and work without supervision
- Be trustworthy, kind, and inclusive of others
- Dress appropriately while representing the Fire Service
- Be able to work under stressful conditions day or night.
You are not expected to respond to every call, but you should communicate whether you will be attending or not to the ESS lead. Surrey gets approximately 24-30 ESS callouts per year. Most calls occur because of a house fire.
Fire hall 8 is the location of the ESS resources. From there the volunteers respond to anywhere in the City of Surrey where the event has occurred.
How to sign up:
City of Surrey - Fire Services
Volunteers who donate their time to the Surrey Fire Service participate in opportunities designed to reduce community risk by delivering life safety messages. Our goal is to educate the public and support their ability to be resilient by knowing more about their risks and what they can do to protect themselves, their family, and their neighbours.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyImpactPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account