LINC Program - Classroom Assistant
The Immigrant Welcome Centre in Campbell River is seeking a Volunteer Classroom Assistant for the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. This positions reports to the program Coordinator/Instructor.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates, please e-mail your resume to the Manager of Volunteers at email@example.com
TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum 6 month time commitment preferred, approx. 5-10 hours per week, LINC Classes run Monday to Friday 9:30 to 12:30 (3 hrs) from September to the end of June. Volunteer schedule to be determined.
POSITION SUMMARY: The LINC Class Assistant is responsible for assisting the LINC
Instructor with students who require additional support in language acquisition, to
enable them to fully participate in the class activities. Language Instruction for
Newcomers to Canada (LINC) is a formal classroom style, government approved
program, led by a qualified instructor. Students make measured progress through
Canadian Language Benchmark levels based on four categories: listening, speaking,
reading and writing.
- Oral Communication
- Empowering Others
- Developing Others
- Interpersonal Awareness
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide language support to individual students who need extra help under the guidance of the LINC Coordinator/Instructor.
- Assess individual student needs and develop lessons to address needs.
- Report back to LINC Instructor on student progress, issues and or concerns.
- On occasion may attend field trips.
- Record and report volunteer hours.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience
- Ability to work as a team with LINC Coordinator/Instructor
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and a sense of initiative
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural values and individual experiences
- Knowledge and experience maintaining confidentiality, appropriate boundaries with other staff and clients in a professionally assertive manner.
- A valid BC driver’s license and reliable transportation
- A Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check (performed by the Immigrant Welcome Centre for the volunteer)
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor Degree and teaching experience
- Experience working with ESL learners
- Knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks
This position description is meant to be thorough, but it is not exhaustive. Therefore, other duties and responsibilities will be assigned from time to time. Additionally, it will be required, at times, to work outside normal working hours and / or outside the organization’s facilities depending on the schedule of workshops, activities and events
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account