International Family Recreation Evening - Program Assistant
The Immigrant Welcome Centre in Campbell River is seeking volunteers to assist with their International Family Recreation Evening. The International Family Recreation Evening is a free program that brings families together for fun activities, games and learning opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please contact Deborah Hall at 250-830-0171 or email@example.com.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Program Assistant position assists the Program Coordinator with set up, clean up, organizing/leading activities and supervising children and youth activities during the bi-monthly sessions. In the absence of the Program Coordinator, the Assistant must be able to assume the Coordinator’s role.
TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum 6 month commitment is preferred, 8 hours a month. Program runs from September to June. This volunteer position requires an individual who can commit to attending bi-monthly sessions on Friday evenings from approximately 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. The program starts at 5:30 and ends at 8:30 p.m.
- Attention to Detail: Ensuring that one’s own and others; work and information are complete and accurate.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Fostering Teamwork: As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set up / manage potluck food table.
- In charge of attendance (ensure all attendees have signed the attendance form).
- In charge of registration (guide first time attendees with filling out the registration form).
- Assist with supervising the children.
- Assist the coordinator in managing children joining the parlour games.
- Assist in the clean up at the end of the session.
- May be asked to assume coordinator role when the Program Coordinator is absent (e.g. travel, illness).
- On occasion may assist with field trips.
- Personable and able to develop positive rapport with individuals while maintaining a strong sense of professionalism.
- Must be able to speak clearly on the phone.
- Must complete a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check (provided by the Immigrant Welcome Centre at no charge to the volunteer).
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s license and reliable transportation.
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Find joy in working with children and youth.
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, flexible, and open-minded.
- A team player.
This position description is meant to be thorough, but it is not exhaustive.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account