Volunteering Opportunities at Sense
'Life's Better When We're All Connected' - this is what we firmly believe at Sense:
The audio described version and transcript of this Sense film can be found here.
Volunteers are absolutely key to this - enabling us to bring people together, and provide opportunities for people with complex disabilities to communicate and experience the world.
We have a variety of different volunteering opportunities available. These change regularly, so please keep revisiting this page to see what new roles have been advertised. Whatever your experience, skills, interests, or the time available you have to give, we hope to find the right role for you!
COVID-19 update - Keeping our volunteers, staff and the people we support safe is our priority. Due to the circumstances in relation to COVID-19, there are currently limited volunteering opportunities available. We are busy adapting and creating new roles and ways of volunteering, which will be advertised soon. Thank you for your understanding during this time.
Shop volunteering - Everything we do is with the local community in mind, so in line with government restrictions our high street shops are currently closed. When our shops re-open, we will be delighted to welcome new volunteers. If you would like to apply to volunteer in a shop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating your shop of interest, and we will pass your enquiry on to the relevant shop when they re-open.
How to apply
Please use the search menu to browse our volunteering opportunities and find out more about each role. Once you have seen a role you would like to submit an application for, please click on 'fill out an application form' and follow the instructions.
Just email email@example.com - we'd love to hear from you!
Whether you join us as a volunteer on a holiday, as a buddy, in your community, at an event, in a shop or as a fundraiser, we work together to make sure no one, no matter how complex their disabilities, is isolated, left out, or unable to fulfil their potential.
Featured Volunteering Opportunities
Our Vision and Values
A world where no one with complex disabilities is isolated, left out, or unable to fulfil their potential. For everyone living with complex disabilities. For everyone who is deafblind. Sense is here to help people communicate and experience the world.
What we do
We provide expert support that’s tailored to the individual needs of each person who has complex disabilities or is deafblind. That might be through our centres, holidays and short breaks, or in people's own homes. In addition to practical support, we also offer information to families, and campaign for the rights of people with complex disabilities to take part in life.
Everything we do is underpinned by five core values:
- We include - We are determined to provide a place where everyone belongs. Where difference is valued and no one is left out. We take time to understand each other, however we may communicate. And we involve each other, especially in the things that affect us directly.
- We collaborate - We bring people together and make connections. Because though we may all connect differently, we are all connected. And by sharing, learning, working and contributing together, we can achieve so much more.
- We find a way - We think creatively, seeing potential and possibility. Always finding a way, however long it takes.
- We challenge - We think risk is part of life to embrace and work with, not avoid. We constantly challenge ourselves and the status quo, working hard to make the world a place for everyone. When things go wrong, we're honest, we learn, we do better.
- We celebrate - All achievements are worth celebrating. Those moments and milestones - the ordinary and extraordinary - that give meaning and purpose to life. We notice them and celebrate. Inspiring us to keep going.