Expectations - Yours and Ours
Who We Are
Mental Health Innovations is a new charity that supports people in crisis, all by text. Our goal is to move texters from a "hot moment" to a "cool calm," and create a safety plan with them - so they have the tools they need to feel their best. Our texters on their phones; our Crisis Counsellors volunteer from their computers from home.
Who You Are
You are kind. You are a good listener. You're passionate about supporting people in crisis. You're open-minded. You're dedicated. And you're ready to be a friend to anyone in crisis. Sound like you? Great! You will make an excellent Crisis Counsellor.
1. Support: You'll be assigned to a coach who will guide you through the entire process.They are your go-to person for everything, even after training.
2. Committing: Complete 30 hours of training over 4 weeks.
3. Learning: Our lessons can be accessed 24/7.
4. More learning: You will have the opportunity to carry out an observation shift where you see real texters in real time. (You'll have several opportunities to do your required one.)
5. Practicing: You'll do roleplays and other assignments to develop your skills.
After you pass the assignments and take your first shift, you're officially a Crisis Counsellor!
What Volunteering Involves
1. Weekly shifts. 2-4 hours a week, working towards 200 hours total.
2. Supervision. Our supervisors will be with you for every shift.
3. Community. Get to know other volunteers via in-person meet-ups and virtual community events.
Dealbreakers. We can only accept you if you:
1. Are over 18
2. Consent to reference checks
3. Agree to help a texter regardless of the reason they are in crisis (e.g., a texter is coming out as gay is considering an abortion, etc.)
4. Would be comfortable to address topics frequently discussed with texters (suicide, self-harm, depression, etc.) without compromising your own mental health
5. Can commit to the 30-hour training over the next month or two
6. Can commit to 200 total hours of volunteering
7. Have a reliable internet connection and a private place to take your shift
Ready? Fantastic! Next, tell us about you.