Intern/Volunteer Expectations & Guidelines
If you are under the age of 18, you must have a parent/guardian consent form on file with your application. Please download the form by clicking here and upload your completed form when prompted in the application.
As an Intern or Volunteer at SOS, I agree to the following:
- I will commit to Intern/volunteer with SOS Community Services for a minimum of three (3) months during which I will complete at least five (5) hours per month;
- I will accurately record and submit my volunteer hours;
- I will be present at all shifts I commit to and I will contact my supervisor in the event that I will not be available to work my assigned shift;
- I understand that if my hours are being completed for a program or court requirement, more than one (1) missed shift will cause me to be dismissed from my Intern/volunteer position;
- I understand that if I am a long-term Intern/volunteer, more than three (3) missed shifts will cause me to be dismissed from my position;
- I understand that I am responsible for my personal belongings and that SOS is not responsible for lost or stolen items; I also understand that it is recommended for all valuables to be left at home;
- I will dress appropriately for my role; I understand that Administrative roles require business casual dress and Food Program roles require closed toe shoes; I understand that Interns/Volunteers may not wear revealing or offensive clothing during their shift;
- I will report to a staff member any incident of harassment or endangerment which poses a current or future impact on SOS, its staff, Interns/volunteers, or consumers;
- I will treat all consumers, Interns/volunteers, and staff with kindness, dignity, and respect; I understand that no one will be discriminated against based on race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, or any other individual characteristics, and that exhibiting behaviors that demonstrate discrimination is means for immediate dismissal from my position;
- I will participate in the SOS Intern/Volunteer Orientation and subsequent trainings as needed;
- I understand that stealing is not tolerated and will result in immediate dismissal;
- I understand that weapons of any kind are not permitted on SOS property;
- I understand that Interning/Volunteering under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be permitted and that smoking is not allowed on SOS property;
- I understand that excessive cell phone use, including texting, is prohibited during volunteer hours;
- I understand that I am not only acting as an Intern/volunteer, but also a representative of SOS Community Services, and I understand that it is never appropriate to form an outside relationship of any kind with any consumer;
- I understand that SOS Interns/volunteers may not receive any services provided by SOS Community Services during the tenure of their Intern/volunteer experience or during the six (6) months prior; I understand that this includes housing, food, utility, employment, children’s, and all other SOS services;
- I understand that a volunteer’s immediate family members may not be able to access services provided by SOS during the tenure of my Intern/volunteer experience as to avoid a conflict of interest, and that if specific resources are needed, staff can provide referrals to outside resources that provide similar services;
- I understand that SOS Community Services and its staff are released from any and all liability and responsibility for any actions, injury, or illness that may directly or indirectly result from my participation in the program. I understand that by signing this document, I waive the entity listed above from any and all legal claims.
Interns/Volunteers can expect the following from SOS Community Services:
- To be treated with respect, listened to, and encouraged to stand up for what you think and feel while respecting the rights of others.
- To be provided supervision, training, opportunities to give feedback, support, encouragement, and recognition for your time and effort.
SOS Community Services reserves the right to decline the service of any volunteer at any time. SOS Community Services will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, or sexual harassment. A volunteer who violates policies, disobeys safety procedures, behaves inappropriately with staff, other volunteers, or anyone they encounter while volunteering with SOS Community Services, will be asked to leave and may be permanently excused from further volunteer activities with SOS Community Services.