Sonoma Ecology Center Volunteer Waiver, Release, and Indemnity Agreement
Volunteer Waiver, Release, and Indemnity Agreement
The volunteer and Sonoma Ecology Center agree as follows:
This list sets forth the responsibilities and understandings of the volunteer and of Sonoma Ecology Center regarding volunteer participation in programs partially or wholly coordinated by Sonoma Ecology Center.
1. The volunteer performs the service of the volunteer’s own free will, without promise, expectation, or receipt of remuneration. The volunteer is not an employee or agent of Sonoma Ecology Center for any purpose and the volunteer’s services are not controlled or mandated by Sonoma Ecology Center.
2. If the volunteer is under the age of 18, the volunteer may only participate in volunteer service with the express written consent of the volunteer’s parent or guardian.
3. The volunteer understands and agrees that it is possible that the volunteer may be injured or otherwise harmed during volunteer service due to accidents, acts of nature, the volunteer’s negligent or intentional acts, or the negligent or intentional acts of others; that while Sonoma Ecology Center has taken some steps to reduce the chances of in injuries or harm to the volunteer, that Sonoma Ecology Center has no control over most risks, and, thus, cannot and does not guarantee nor take any responsibility for the safety of the volunteer or the volunteer’s property while the volunteer is engaged in volunteer service; and that the volunteer must take full responsibility for himself or herself and assume the risk of harm or damage while serving by taking all necessary and reasonable precautions and acting in a manner that will help protect himself or herself and his or her property.
4. The volunteer agrees to waive and release Sonoma Ecology Center from any and all potential claims for injury, illness, damage, or death which the volunteer may have against Sonoma Ecology Center that might arise out of the volunteer’s service and to hold Sonoma Ecology Center harmless there from.
5. The volunteer agrees and understands that injuries or losses to others, such as co-workers or the person(s) being helped, may occur as a result of the volunteer’s negligent or intentional acts during volunteer service, and that to avoid such harm, the volunteer must exercise care and act responsibly in serving others.
6. If any injury or loss to another does occur due to the volunteer’s intentional actions or due to the volunteer's negligent actions arising outside of the scope of the volunteer’s activities, the volunteer must accept the liability for and repair, or make reparations for, the harm done.
7. Sonoma Ecology Center is not providing the volunteer with insurance coverage for any injuries, conditions, or losses to the volunteer arising out of volunteer activities, except that Sonoma Ecology does provide liability insurance coverage on all Sonoma Ecology Center vehicles used during service projects.
8. The volunteer must maintain his or her own primary medical insurance and the volunteer’s own automobile liability insurance when driving a non-Sonoma Ecology Center vehicle to cover potential medical and other costs related to the volunteer service; and the volunteer is also encouraged to maintain property and life insurance coverage while serving as a volunteer.
9. All costs for injury or loss above the coverage provided by the volunteer’s insurance are the volunteer’s personal responsibility.
10. In projects where the volunteer will be transporting others in a non-Sonoma Ecology Center owned vehicle, the volunteer will be required to provide proof of automobile insurance in order to participate.
11. Since volunteers are not Sonoma Ecology Center employees, Sonoma Ecology Center does not provide workers’ compensation coverage for injuries or illnesses to the volunteer arising out of volunteer activities.
12. I understand that the materials and tools provided by Sonoma Ecology Center are and remain the property of Sonoma Ecology Center, and I agree to return these tools and any remaining materials to Sonoma Ecology Center at the end of my volunteer service.
Parental Consent if volunteer under 18 years old
For volunteers under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must come to the park and sign a consent form. This is in addition to this Volunteer Waiver, Release, and Indemnity Agreement.
Assumption of the Risk and Waiver of Liability Relating to Coronavirus/COVID-19
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person contact. As a result, federal, state, and local governments and federal and state health agencies recommend social distancing and have, in many locations, prohibited the congregation of groups of people.
While COVID-19 can cause mild symptoms in some individuals, it can lead to severe illness and even death in others. Adults over age 65 and people of any age with serious underlying medical conditions including, but not limited to, HIV, asthma and other respiratory conditions, and pregnancy, may be at a higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19.
Sonoma Ecology Center (“SEC”) has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19; however, SEC cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, continuing to volunteer could increase your risk of contracting COVID-19.
By signing this agreement, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by continuing to volunteer for SEC and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 while volunteering may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, SEC employees, volunteers, and program participants and their families. My decision to continue volunteering for SEC is exclusively my own and made in full understanding and acceptance of the foregoing risks.
I voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that I may experience or incur in connection with my continued volunteerism for SEC (“Claims”). I hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless SEC, its employees, agents, and representatives, of and from the Claims, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. I understand and agree that this release includes any Claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of SEC, its employees, agents, and representatives, whether an injury, loss or COVID-19 infection occurs before, during, or after volunteering for SEC during this time.
VISUAL MEDIA CONTENT RELEASE AND PERMISSION TO PHOTOGRAPH
Visual Media Content: Privacy Rights and Use of Information for the State of California – Natural Resources Agency Dept. of Parks and Recreation
I give the state of California, Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) permission to make photographs, videotapes, films or other likenesses of me, my child or legal ward. I hereby grant DPR the unrestricted right to copyright any of the above mentioned materials containing images of me, as well as unrestricted right to use and reuse them, with their caption information, in whole or in part, in any manner, for any purpose and in any medium now known or hereinafter invented, in perpetuity, and in all languages throughout the world. These rights include, but are not limited to, the right to publish, copy, distribute, alter, license and publically display these materials and images for educational, trade, marketing and/or advertising purposes. I also grant to DPR and its licenses the unrestricted right to use and disclose my name in connection with the use of the above material.
I understand and agree that I will not be paid for any use described above.
I also waive, and release and discharge the Sonoma Ecology Center and the State of California, DPR, its officers, employees and/or agents from, any and all claims arising out of or in connection with any use of the materials, caption information and images described above, including any and all claims libel, defamation and/or invasion of privacy or publicity. I have read this release before signing below and I fully understand the contents, meaning, and impact of this release. I realize I cannot withdraw my consent after I sign this form and I realize this form is binding on me and my heirs, legal representatives and assigns.
SUGARLOAF RIDGE STATE PARK & SONOMA ECOLOGY CENTER – PERMISSION TO PHOTOGRAPH
Occasionally, Sugarloaf Ridge State Park & Sonoma Ecology Center program activities may be photographed, videotaped, or audio taped for educational, publicity or fundraising purposes. By signing below I give permission to appear in videos, photos or audio recordings without compensation (e.g., as part of brochures, slide shows or program websites).
By agreeing below, the parties confirm that they have read, understand, and consent to the terms of this waiver agreement.